23.2 C
Cape Town
Thursday, April 3, 2025

Eskom: Three Stages of loadshedding attributable to illegal wage strike

Published on

Eskom CEO Andre de Ruyter says three stages of loadshedding are due to the ongoing illegal wage strike.

This translates to the loss of 2500 MW of capacity.

Wage talks between Eskom and unions resumed at 09:00 on Friday, but it remains unclear whether a wage agreement is imminent.

NUMSA and the NUM have denied reports that they plan to reject a 7% wage offer.

Stage 6 loadshedding will again be implemented at 16:00 on Friday until midnight.

Eskom CEO Andre de Ruyter says the most critical constraint at the moment is the lack of staff.

De Ruyter has thanked middle management personnel for stepping up to assist with operational matters at some power stations.

At one of our plants, the Financial Manager was rapidly given an instruction course on how to operate coal loading equipment, and he has been operating that…I’m not going to disclose at what station, or who this individual is…in order to protect him from possible intimidation…but it goes to show the extraordinary steps that loyal Eskom employees are prepared to take to keep the lights on.

Eskom has confirmed that Stage 4 loadshedding will be implemented from 07:00 to midnight on Saturday and Sunday. It will drop to Stage 2 overnight between those times.

The power utility has again urged workers to return to their posts.

De Ruyter says they may institute disciplinary action against employees who embarked on the illegal industrial action.

Liesl Smit
Liesl Smit
Liesl is the Smile 90.4FM News Manager. She has been at Smile since 2016, with nearly 20 years experience in the radio industry, including reading news, field reporting and producing. In 2008 she won the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Award, Western Cape region. liesl@smile904.fm

Latest articles

National Assembly passes the 2025 budget

  The crucial fiscal framework of the 2025 Budget has officially been adopted by Parliament following a vote by Members of Parliament (MPs) today.   The framework...

Justice for Cwecwe: SAPS urges responsible reporting as Afriforum slams ‘trial by media’

  Following nation-wide protests yesterday to demand justice for the 7-year-old girl who was raped in Matatiele in October last year, the National Police Commissioner...

GNU in turmoil as DA accuses ActionSA and ANC of betrayal over budget deal

  The DA's future in the Government of National Unity now seems uncertain after ActionSA offered the ANC its support to pass the budget.   During a...