More charges added to alleged Hanover Park rapist’s rap sheet

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

 

The matter pertaining to the disappearance and alleged rape of a Hanover Park girl was heard in the Wynberg Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

 

The nine-year-old was reportedly lured into the home of a convicted rapist who was recently released on parole. The suspect made his first appearance in the dock this morning, where the matter was remanded to Friday 23 May 2025 for legal representation.

 

Wynberg Magistrates' Court
Image by Lizell Persens

 

The suspect was arrested on Tuesday, after hundreds of angry community members surrounded his home in search of the little girl. The state alleges that the parolee had fed the little girl a sandwich – that was laced with a drug – after which she became drowsy. It’s understood he then raped the little girl.

 

The police’s Lt Col Malcolm Pojie was at the courthouse today and repeated what the state prosecutor had shared.

 

“The charges were trafficking in persons, abduction, rape and sexual assault. (That’s what was said yes) he gave her a sandwich and afterwards, she became drowsy,” Pojie said.

 

 

Scores of angry Hanover Park residents were outside court today, to show their solidarity. The victim’s mother was with them. The rattled parent vented her outrage at the fact that her child’s suspected attacker — a convicted rapist — was recently released on parole.

 

The suspect was apprehended on Tuesday when the little girl failed to return home from madrassa (Muslim school at mosque). After swift community intervention and a wide-scale search, the minor was eventually found inside the home of the parolee, and he was subsequently arrested and detained.

 

police van philippi hanover park rape SAPS
Image by Lizell Persens

 

Clutching a tissue, the visibly traumatized and aggrieved mother spoke to Smile 90.4 FM under the cloak of anonymity, as her child is a minor.

 

“I am angry and sad obviously, and I am happy they opposed bail. He’s going to Pollsmoor so I am glad for that, and I don’t know, it (her emotions) is just all mixed up. I am blocking it all out, so I don’t really feel anything at the moment,” the mother conveyed.

 

The investigation remains underway.

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...