15.5 C
Cape Town
Thursday, May 21, 2026

Innocent Child Caught in Crossfire as Gunmen Open Fire in Wallacedene Home

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

A 5-year-old child has become the latest victim of a mass shooting after being struck by a bullet at a premises in Mfeketho Street, Wallacedene, last night.

 

A 50-year-old man was shot and killed, while a 30-year-old man and a 25-year-old woman were among those injured.

 

Police spokesperson Wesley Twigg said the motive for the attack forms part of the police investigation.

 

“Kraaifontein police were called to the crime scene, where they found the victims with gunshot wounds to their bodies. The 50-year-old victim was declared deceased on the scene by medical personnel, while the other victims were transported to a medical facility in a private vehicle. According to reports, two unknown suspects entered the premises and opened fire on the victims before fleeing the scene.”

 

Police confirmed that cases of murder and attempted murder were registered for further investigation.

 

The Kraaifontein Community Police Forum (CPF) has since called on the community to assist police as they investigate the tragic incident.

 

CPF chairperson Mawethu Sila urged the community to work alongside the police and other authorities to help prevent violent crime before it happens. Sila said residents often have information about planned shootings or may witness incidents that could help police identify and arrest those responsible.

 

“We appeal to anyone who witnessed the attack to come forward. Sometimes you know about the shooting incidents before the time, and we are appealing to the community to share this with the police so that incidents like this can be prevented.”

 

Meanwhile, the Cape Crime Crisis Coalition said criminals have become increasingly brazen in their attacks on communities. Chairperson Llewellyn MacMaster said it had become concerning to witness a trend in which criminals go into people’s homes to commit these crimes, often injuring children in the process.

 

“These incidents not only leave physical wounds and claim lives, but they also create a climate of fear and trauma that affects entire communities. When children are exposed to such violence, the long-term psychological impact can be devastating.”

 

MacMaster stressed that government needs to intensify efforts to establish the root causes of violent crime in the Cape Flats.

 

“We continue our call for government to strengthen intelligence-led policing, remove illegal firearms from our streets and restore public confidence in community safety. We also acknowledge that communities have a role to play in breaking the cycle of violence.”

Loushe Jordaan-Gilbert
Loushe Jordaan-Gilbert
Loushé Jordaan Gilbert has been telling community stories since 2014. She began her career as a community journalist, dedicated to amplifying local voices and shedding light on the everyday realities communities face.

Latest articles

Fast-Tracked Repairs Bring Paarl Hospital Closer to Full Reopening

  Paarl Hospital is steadily returning to full operation after being severely damaged in a fire earlier this year.  The fire, which broke out in January...

WCED Assesses Damage After Severe Weather Hits Schools

 Severe weather has left a trail of disruption across the Western Cape, forcing several schools to close and damaging infrastructure in others. The Western Cape...

Deadly Week on Western Cape Roads Claims 20 Lives

  The Western Cape Department of Mobility is appealing to motorists to avoid drinking and driving as the department recorded several deaths on the province’s...
error: Content is protected !!