Contact tracing underway after 3rd imported cholera case

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

The National Health Department has commenced the process of contact tracing, after a 3rd imported cholera case has been detected…this time in Durban.

 

A 24-year-old man tested positive on Monday, 24 July, after travelling from Karachi, in Pakistan. The previous 2 imported cases were from Malawi.

 

 

It’s understood the patient arrived in the country on the 16th of July from Pakistan which is known to be cholera endemic, where he experienced abdominal cramps, vomiting and diarrhoea symptoms after a meal on the 14th of July. He has since been discharged, and is recovering at home.

 

 

Health officials are now calling for continued vigilance. This brings the total number of cases recorded since February to 199. The department’s Foster Mohale explains:

 

“The outbreak response team has effected contact tracing. They’ve identified 4 family members and 1 friend he stayed with while in Pakistan. None of the contacts identified are presenting with cholera symptoms and are on continuous close monitoring. On the other hand, water samples were collected from the patient`s place of residence and taken for laboratory testing at the National Health Laboratory Service,” says Mohale.

 

“SITUATION UNDER CONTROL”

 

The Health Department maintains the situation is being dealt with.

 

“While the situation is under control from the recent cholera outbreak in some parts of the country, Minister Phaahla urges the public to stay alert and maintain high level of personal hygiene at all times to prevent possible transmission of waterborne and foodborne diseases,” adds Mohale.

 

READ MORE: Mpumalanga Confirms First Cholera Death

 

 

Latest articles

Pressure on the Springboks as Rugby’s Greatest Rivalry moves to Cape Town

 Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus says his team has been in difficult positions before and knows exactly what is required to keep the Rugby Championship...

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...