Police have arrested two people in connection with the murder of former world champion boxer Zolani Tete in Mdantsane in the Eastern Cape.
Tete was shot dead outside his home in NU 17 on Friday, 21 August, after two armed suspects wearing balaclavas allegedly ambushed him while he was sitting in his car waiting for his gate to open.
A 27-year-old woman who was in the vehicle with him was also shot multiple times. She remains in hospital.
SAPS says two people, aged 30 and 22, were arrested in Ku Gompo on Saturday following an intelligence-driven operation involving several law enforcement units.
They are being questioned in connection with Tete’s murder and the attempted murder of the woman.
Police have not disclosed a possible motive, but say investigators are following several leads and that more arrests are imminent.
SAPS has appealed to the public to avoid speculation or sharing unverified information, warning that this could compromise the investigation and future court proceedings.
Tete, who was 38, was one of South Africa’s most accomplished boxers.
He held the WBO bantamweight title from 2017 to 2019 and the IBF super-flyweight title in 2014.
He also holds a Guinness World Record for the fastest knockout in a world title fight, stopping Siboniso Gonya in just 11 seconds in 2017.
Tete finished his professional career with 29 wins, including 22 knockouts, four losses and one no contest.
Tete’s manager confirmed to media outlets that the former champion had been training for a comeback fight after completing a four-year doping ban, which expired on 29 July.
Anyone with information that could assist the investigation can contact Crime Stop on 08600 10111. SAPS says all information will be treated confidentially.


