15.4 C
Cape Town
Friday, May 22, 2026

WCED: 1683 Grades R,1 and 8 learner placements still underway

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

The Western Cape Education Department (WCED) says it has made significant inroads in reducing the number of learners on placement lists for the 2026 academic year.

 

The department says this is despite receiving an alarming number of extremely late school applications since the start of the year.

 

According to the department’s director of communications, Bronagh Hammond, the department has received over 26,000 extremely late applications in Grade R. 1 and 8 alone since 1 January.

 

Additionally, over 2500 applications were received between 2 February and 11 February 2026.

 

“This is nearly a year AFTER the application period first opened!” added Hammond

 

Hammond says, despite the volume of extremely late and new applications, the department has placed over 26,000 learners since the beginning of the year.

 

This has reduced the number of in progress of placement to 272 Grade 1s, 322 Grade 8s and 1,089 Grade Rs, as of 11 February.

 

This brings the total number of placements in progress for Grades R, 1 and 8 to 1,683.

 

The WCED says these numbers have already been reduced in the past 6 days, with updated figures being verified.

 

READ MORE: Manenberg CPF debunks school relocation rumours

Danielle Mentoor
Danielle Mentoor
Danielle is Smile FM's PM drive news reader. She has been in the radio industry since 2020 and started her career at a community radio station. When she's not keeping you up to date with the latest news, she's exploring the outdoors.

Latest articles

Probe into FlySafair alleged ticket overbooking and overselling

 FlySafair has been referred to the National Consumer Tribunal by the National Consumer Commission (NCC) over allegations that it systematically implemented the overbooking and...

Adverse weather in the WC classified as provincial disaster

 The Western Cape Government has announced that the adverse weather conditions experienced in the province earlier this month have been classified as a provincial...

Nine suspects arrested in Delft under Operation Prosper

 Nine suspects have been arrested following a series of searches in Delft as part of Operation Prosper, which consists of the South African National...
error: Content is protected !!