19 C
Cape Town
Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Thabo Bester moved to most secure prison in South Africa

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

The Department of Correctional Services has confirmed that convicted murderer and rapist Thabo Bester has been transferred to the eBongweni Super Maximum Correctional Centre in Kokstad, KwaZulu-Natal, described as the country’s most secure and strictest prison.

 

The high-risk maximum-security facility is managed on Closed Maximum Principles and houses offenders who fit a specific risk profile.

 

Correctional Services says inmate transfers are a routine security measure, based on risk assessments to maintain safety and stability within facilities and the broader justice system.

 

It is not clear whether there were any recent changes in Bester’s risk profile.

 

The department adds that Bester will continue to receive care in line with regulations and will still have full access to legal representation, family communication and court processes.

 

Logistical arrangements are in place to ensure his court appearances and legal proceedings continue without disruption.

 

Bester famously escaped from the Mangaung Correctional Centre in May 2022, staging a fire and faking his own death, with the help of his girlfriend, Nandipha Magudumana, and others.

 

After living the high life in Johannesburg for some time, the “Facebook rapist” was finally caught in Tanzania in April 2023, where, together with Magudumana, they were extradited to South Africa.

 

His escape trial has been beset with delays as he has sought to challenge his extradition on a technicality, alleging ill treatment in jail and frequently changing legal representation.

 

The matter is expected to be back in court in July 2026.

 

Liesl Smit
Liesl Smit
Liesl is the Smile 90.4FM News Manager. She has been at Smile since 2016, with nearly 20 years experience in the radio industry, including reading news, field reporting and producing. In 2008 she won the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Award, Western Cape region. liesl@smile904.fm

Latest articles

Cape Storms: Calitzdorp woman in labour among those rescued

 As the Western Cape starts counting the cost of the devastating storms experienced over the past two weeks, stories of hope are starting to...

Agriculture sector suffered heavy losses in Cape storms

 The Western Cape Department of Agriculture says last week's severe weather has had a significant impact on the sector, with damage assessments now underway. ALSO...

Koesistergate: City denies targeting home bakers selling goods from home

 The City has denied that it's penalising pensioners for selling koesisters, doughnuts or vetkoek from their homes. The claim first surfaced during a discussion on...
error: Content is protected !!