20.6 C
Cape Town
Wednesday, May 20, 2026

SANParks backtracks on indemnity form requirement at Boulders, Cape Point

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

SANParks has backtracked on a requirement for visitors to sign an indemnity form before accessing Cape Point and the Boulders Penguin Colony, following concerns raised by tour guides and regular Table Mountain users.

 

In an initial statement shared on social media, SANParks said that Table Mountain National Park would require indemnity forms to be completed at all park gates, effective 10 February 2026.

 

The indemnity forms, park management said, would be an interim measure while SANParks completes the implementation of an ID scanning system for South African residents, which would ensure locals get the discounted rates.

 

But tourism role-players immediately baulked at the measure, saying this added red tape would harm tourism at these key sites by causing unnecessary delays for entry.

 

In a statement issued on 11 February, SANParks said that only digital ID scanning will be used at the Cape Point (Cape of Good Hope) and Boulders Penguin Colony entrances, and that indemnity forms will no longer be required for general day visitors.

 

Indemnity forms will apply only at designated picnic and braai facilities, namely Newlands Forest, Oudekraal, Silvermine, and Tokai Picnic & Braai Site. This does not apply to open-access areas, Wild Card holders, or Activity Permit holders.

 

The Table Mountain Aerial Cableway and Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens are not included in this process.

 

Park Management says all personal information will be managed in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA).

 

Liesl Smit
Liesl Smit
Liesl is the Smile 90.4FM News Manager. She has been at Smile since 2016, with nearly 20 years experience in the radio industry, including reading news, field reporting and producing. In 2008 she won the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Award, Western Cape region. liesl@smile904.fm

Latest articles

Cape Storms: Calitzdorp woman in labour among those rescued

 As the Western Cape starts counting the cost of the devastating storms experienced over the past two weeks, stories of hope are starting to...

Agriculture sector suffered heavy losses in Cape storms

 The Western Cape Department of Agriculture says last week's severe weather has had a significant impact on the sector, with damage assessments now underway. ALSO...

Koesistergate: City denies targeting home bakers selling goods from home

 The City has denied that it's penalising pensioners for selling koesisters, doughnuts or vetkoek from their homes. The claim first surfaced during a discussion on...
error: Content is protected !!