Elton Jantjies’ rugby career is in jeopardy following the news that he tested positive for a banned substance, Clenbuterol – an anabolic agent that helps burn fat.
The news broke on Saturday, which prompted the bok flyhalf to release a statement.
He denies that he deliberately took the banned substance, and he also wants his B sample to be tested, to prove his innocence.
“It with no small amount of shock and sadness that I have to inform you that I received notification earlier this month, from the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport, that a urine sample that I had provided to them in June 2023, returned a positive test for a banned substance, Clenbuterol,” his statement reads.
“I have instructed legal representation to assist me in determining the source of the prohibited substance and I have instructed them to ask for my B Sample to be tested and to launch an inquiry into the possible causes for the positive test.”
“At this stage I can say little more about the matter, save that I assure all my supporters that I have not and never will deliberately take a banned substance, and that I will do everything in my power to prove my innocence.
“This is another set-back in what has been a very volatile time for me, but I shall overcome this with the support of my family and friends. I know that there will be those out there who doubt my innocence, but I hope to prove you wrong, in due course. For those who support me, thank you.”
SA Rugby released a brief note, saying it had noted his statement.
“SA Rugby has noted the statement issued on behalf of Elton Jantjies and confirms it was advised of the adverse finding. A regulated process is now in train which we are bound to respect and allow to run its course without further comment or speculation,” it said.
According to a report in Afrikaans Sunday newspaper Rapport, Jantjies’ may have ingested the Clenbuterol through a nasal spray, although the South African Institute for Drug Free Sport (Saids) is unsure whether the substance can be taken by means of a nasal spray.
The CEO of Saids, Khalid Galant, says Jantjies can be suspended for up to four years, unless he can prove the source of the prohibited substance and that he did not take it intentionally.
Jantjies’ omission from the Boks’ expanded training squad for the World Cup was announced last month, after the test against Argentina. He was fourth choice at flyhalf. No reason was then given as to why he was not chosen.
After his positive test, he may not play any rugby, which may also cost him a contract with the Lions.
The past year and a half has not been easy for Jantjies. First he was caught having an affair with Springbok dietitian, Zeenat Simjee, which cost him his place in the Bok squad last year.
The scandal also cost Jantjies his contract with the Japanese team Red Hurricanes. He has since also lost his contract with the French club team Agen, which was cut short by a year.
ALSO READ: Boks pummel All Blacks ahead of RWC 2023