Counterfeit goods worth R8 million seized in Bellville

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

The Western Cape Provincial Counterfeit and Illicit Goods Policing Team has seized counterfeit goods worth approximately R8 million during a search and seizure operation in Bellville on Thursday.

 

Authorities earlier confirmed that a large consignment of counterfeit clothing, footwear, and accessories bearing the trademarks of well-known international brands was seized during the operation.

 

counterfeit

 

Provincial police colonel Andre Traut says the multidisciplinary team conducted inspections at identified business premises in Bellville, where suspected fake goods were being sold.

 

While no arrests were effected during the operation, investigations are continuing to trace the supply network and determine the origin of the illicit goods.

 

The Western Cape Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Thembisile Patekile, commended the collaborative effort, emphasising that the sale of counterfeit products undermines legitimate business operations, deprives the state of revenue, and often supports organised criminal networks.

 

counterfeit

 

“The SAPS will continue to work closely with enforcement agencies and brand representatives to remove counterfeit products from circulation and to protect the rights of consumers and legitimate traders,” said Patekile

 

Police have urged members of the public to report the sale of suspected fake goods to their nearest police station or through the SAPS Crime Stop number 08600 10111.

 

READ MORE: Counterfeit Lego worth R1.5 million seized in Durbanville raid

Danielle Mentoor
Danielle Mentoor
Danielle is Smile FM's PM drive news reader. She has been in the radio industry since 2020 and started her career at a community radio station. When she's not keeping you up to date with the latest news, she's exploring the outdoors.

Latest articles

Hawks arrest third suspect in Gugulethu attempted CIT robbery

 The Hawks have confirmed the arrest of a third suspect in connection with an attempted cash-in-transit robbery in Gugulethu two months ago. A 45-year-old man...

City to oppose appeal over Woodstock, Salt River land evictions

 The City of Cape Town says it intends to oppose the leave to appeal application lodged by activist organisation Ndifuna Ukwazi against last month’s...

SAPS seeks more victims of serial Muizenberg rapist and robber

 The South African Police Service (SAPS) in the Western Cape are searching for more individuals who may have fallen victim to an operation in...