The Malmesbury minor facing charges for the alleged sexual exploitation of children, as part of an international online extremist group, is expected to undergo a mental evaluation.
That was the recommendation of the district surgeon after the 16-year-old went for a medical evaluation earlier this week.
READ MORE: Malmesbury teen accused of child exploitation undergoes medical exam – Smile 90.4FM
The National Prosecuting Authority’s Eric Ntabazalila confirmed that the accused made his second appearance in court on Thursday, where the Malmesbury Magistrates Court agreed that he should be referred for evaluation at the Valkenberg Psychiatric Hospital.
“The court endorsed the recommendation of the doctor and the accused has been referred to the Valkenberg Psychiatric Hospital for mental evaluation in terms of Section77(1)&78(2) of the Criminal Procedure Act,” said Ntabazalila.
Until such a time, he will be in a place of safety until his next court appearance on 27 August for a formal bail application.
Meanwhile, the National Prosecuting Authority has brought four more charges against the teen, bringing the total number of charges to 15.
“Which include sexual grooming of a child, compelled sexual assault, sexual exploitation of a child, creation of child pornography, exposure or displaying pornography to a child by image, unlawful and intentional distribution of child pornography, possession of child pornography,
data message which incites damage to property or violence, cruelty to animals and Prohibition against filming and distribution of films and photographs depicting sexual violence and violence against children,” said Ntabazalila.
Ntabazalila also noted that the charge sheet and all court orders have been sealed, as a precautionary measure to protect the rights of the accused and those close to him.
“The State took this position to protect the rights of the accused, who is a minor, the victims, and also his siblings and his family.”


