WC government’s preparedness ahead of next cold front

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

 

Western Cape Premier Alan Winde said all hands are on deck to deal with the impact of more inclement weather. This as an orange level 8 warning for disruptive rain leading to flooding and possible mudslides was issued for Thursday for the City of Cape Town, Drakenstein and Stellenbosch municipalities. A warning of damaging waves also remains in place until Friday.

 

At least 15,000 residents have been impacted by the weather so far, with 4,500 displaced.

 

 

During a media briefing held on Wednesday, Winde stressed the importance of adhering to warnings and tips:

 

“Please, when an official comes to you and says you need to evacuate, please make sure that you listen. If an official says to you please don’t use this road, don’t use the road. If there is no official and you see lots of water going across the bridge, don’t brave that bridge,” said Winde.

 

READ MORE: CAPE STORM: Some schools will be closed Thursday

 

Meanwhile, Local Government MEC Anton Bredell. He shed light on the current situation. A series of cold fronts have been sweeping its way through the province since early Sunday, continuing until Friday.

 

THOUSANDS AFFECTED

 

“We’ve received a lot of rain and severe winds that damaged a lot of informal dwellings. Over 1,000 (dwellings have been damaged) in Ward 99, in Khayelitsha. We currently sit with 4,000 – 5,000 informal dwellings that have been damaged and 15,000 affected people,” said Bredell.

 

 

The Western Cape Head of Disaster Management, Colin Deiner confirmed that 70 agencies are working together to provide shelter, humanitarian aid, emergency response and more. Deiner explained that the various organisations and governmental departments are ready for Thursday’s cold front:

 

“The orange level 8 warning on Thursday means that it is a severe impact event. We had an incident earlier this year that was a level 9, in April. Due to the fact that we have already had a lot of rain, we have saturated ground. We are seeing this in an extremely serious light,” expressed Deiner.

 

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...