17.7 C
Cape Town
Wednesday, May 20, 2026

UPDATE: Mass Shooting in Marikana leaves 8 dead, 2 injured

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

Cape Town police have confirmed that an eighth victim of a mass shooting in Marikana informal settlement late on Friday night has died in hospital due to injuries sustained.

 

An investigation is underway into a mass shooting that initially killed seven people on the scene, with three others injured.

 

According to the Office of the Provincial Commissioner, the shooting took place shortly after midnight, at around 00:15 on Friday, 17 January 2026, at a shebeen on Protea Road.

 

The victims who died include one woman and six men, all aged between 30 and 50.

 

Police did not release the sex of the 8th victim, who has now passed away in the hospital.

 

Two men remain in hospital, with eight cases of murder and two of attempted murder now being investigated.

 

At this stage, police believe the incident may be linked to extortion-related activity in the area. The Provincial Serious and Violent Crimes Unit is leading the investigation.

 

The South African Police Service has condemned the attack in the strongest terms and says it is committed to tracking down those responsible and ensuring they are brought to justice. The suspects fled the scene, and no arrests have been made.

 

Police are appealing to anyone with information that could assist the investigation to contact Crime Stop on 08600 10111 or submit tips anonymously via the MySAPS mobile application. All information will be treated as confidential.

 

Meanwhile, the MEC of Police Oversight and Community Safety, Anroux Marais, has revealed more details about the shooting.

 

She says preliminary reports suggest three armed males entered the premises while it was operating and opened fire on patrons.

 

According to Marais, the tavern owner is among the dead.

 

The MEC has extended her condolences to the families and loved ones of those who lost their lives and wishes the injured a full and speedy recovery.

 

“I urge SAPS to deploy a strong, specialised investigation team to ensure that those responsible for this tragedy are swiftly identified, apprehended, and made to face the full might of the law.”

 

“Communities are living in constant fear as criminals run rampant. The SAPS must urgently resource all priority precincts and fill vacancies so that all serious crimes are solved and those responsible are prosecuted.”

 

Premier Alan Winde has indicated that he and MEC Marais will be meeting with Acting Police Minister Firoz Cachalia within the next three weeks to discuss urgent policing needs in the province.

 

*This article has been updated since it was first published

 

Liesl Smit
Liesl Smit
Liesl is the Smile 90.4FM News Manager. She has been at Smile since 2016, with nearly 20 years experience in the radio industry, including reading news, field reporting and producing. In 2008 she won the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Award, Western Cape region. liesl@smile904.fm

Latest articles

Cape Storms: Calitzdorp woman in labour among those rescued

 As the Western Cape starts counting the cost of the devastating storms experienced over the past two weeks, stories of hope are starting to...

Agriculture sector suffered heavy losses in Cape storms

 The Western Cape Department of Agriculture says last week's severe weather has had a significant impact on the sector, with damage assessments now underway. ALSO...

Koesistergate: City denies targeting home bakers selling goods from home

 The City has denied that it's penalising pensioners for selling koesisters, doughnuts or vetkoek from their homes. The claim first surfaced during a discussion on...
error: Content is protected !!