Limpopo police are investigating two cases of murder and hijacking after the shock discovery of the bodies of two elderly South Africans in the Kruger National Park near a river area on Friday, 22 May.
Initially, SANParks and the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment said the victims were two tourists, but it has since been reported that they are a retired couple from Mossel Bay, Ernst and Dina Marais, who also owned a property in Hoedspruit.
The news broke on Saturday morning of the gruesome discovery, with SANParks saying their bodies were discovered in the Pafuri section (Nxanatseni North Region) of the Kruger National Park.
A search operation was launched on Thursday evening, 21 May, after camp staff noticed the pair had not returned to camp.
News24 has reported that the couple had checked into the park on Sunday, 17 May and were last seen at the Pafuri picnic area on Wednesday morning, 20 May.
As the search continued, SANParks says other tourists made the “gruesome discovery of two bodies near a river area” on Friday.
Rangers were alerted, and it was also established that the vehicle the Marais couple had been travelling in was missing from the scene.
Minister Willie Aucamp said it is the first time in the history of the Kruger National Park that an incident of this nature has been reported.
Aucamp, the Board and Management of SANParks have extended their deepest condolences to the affected family and friends.
In a statement released on Saturday afternoon, Limpopo Police confirmed they had launched a manhunt for murder and hijacking suspects.
Police revealed that the bodies of the two victims, who have now been confirmed as 71-year-old Ernst Marais and his 73-year-old wife Dina, were found floating at Crooks’ Corner at the intersection of Levubu and the Limpopo River.
Crooks’ Corner is in the north of the park and quite remote.
The Police, Emergency Medical Services personnel, SANParks officials and members of the Border Management Authority responded to the scene.
Preliminary investigations reveal that the victims were stabbed to death. Their vehicle, a green Ford Ranger double cab, is still missing.
Lieutenant General Hadebe has assured the public that maximum resources have been mobilised to ensure that those responsible are traced and brought to justice.
News24 reported that there is a strong suspicion that the suspects are Mozambican and police are attempting to follow their trail into the neighbouring country. Police declined to comment.
Anyone with information that may assist in the ongoing investigations is urged to contact the investigating officer, Lieutenant Colonel Rodney Ndou, on 082 807 2666 or 082 414 2481.
*This article has been updated as more information has become available


