17.7 C
Cape Town
Wednesday, May 20, 2026

UPDATE: Dunoon fire: More than 2,600 displaced

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

The City of Cape Town has confirmed that more than 2,600* people were displaced, following the devastating fire in Dunoon Site 5 on Friday, 9 January 2026. 632 structures were destroyed.

 

The City’s Solid Waste Department moved in today (Monday) to remove debris from the fire site, while their Water and Sanitation counterparts are working to restore damaged infrastructure. Eskom was on site over the weekend to repair damaged electricity infrastructure.

 

 

The City yesterday reported that residents were preventing efforts to re-block Site 5, which would help reduce the severity of fires in future. Smile FM spoke to some residents on Monday morning who said that they don’t want the site to be re-blocked, as they fear they might lose their plots.

 

Some residents had already started rebuilding their shacks over the weekend.

 

 

Gift of the Givers is continuing to provide humanitarian relief, and the City says once the list of affected persons has been finalised, this will be submitted to SASSA to facilitate additional relief.

 

Disaster Risk Management spokesperson Charlotte Powell has thanked those organisations and members of the public who have responded to the call for donations.

 

Donation drop-off points are still active on a 24-hour basis at the following fire stations:

 

  • Goodwood
  • Roeland Street
  • Lakeside
  • Constantia
  • Hout Bay
  • Strand
  • Wynberg
  • Milnerton

 

Contributions of non-perishable foodstuffs, personal hygiene items (soap, toothpaste, face cloths, sanitary towels), nappies and baby formula, as well as blankets/bedding are welcome.

 

*This article was updated to reflect the final tally of persons displaced

Liesl Smit
Liesl Smit
Liesl is the Smile 90.4FM News Manager. She has been at Smile since 2016, with nearly 20 years experience in the radio industry, including reading news, field reporting and producing. In 2008 she won the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Award, Western Cape region. liesl@smile904.fm

Latest articles

Cape Storms: Calitzdorp woman in labour among those rescued

 As the Western Cape starts counting the cost of the devastating storms experienced over the past two weeks, stories of hope are starting to...

Agriculture sector suffered heavy losses in Cape storms

 The Western Cape Department of Agriculture says last week's severe weather has had a significant impact on the sector, with damage assessments now underway. ALSO...

Koesistergate: City denies targeting home bakers selling goods from home

 The City has denied that it's penalising pensioners for selling koesisters, doughnuts or vetkoek from their homes. The claim first surfaced during a discussion on...
error: Content is protected !!