18.5 C
Cape Town
Saturday, May 23, 2026

Two bodies found in Kruger National Park

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

SANParks and the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment say it has learned with shock that the bodies of two tourists were discovered in the Pafuri section (Nxanatseni North Region) of the Kruger National Park.

 

A search operation was launched on Thursday evening, 21 May, after camp staff noticed the tourists had not returned to camp.

 

As the search continued, SANParks says other tourists made the “gruesome discovery of two bodies near a river area” on Friday.

 

Rangers were alerted, and it was also established that the vehicle the tourists had been travelling in was missing from the scene. The nationality of the tourists is not known.

 

Minister Willie Aucamp says it is the first time in the history of the Kruger National Park that an incident of this nature has been reported.

 

The next of kin of the deceased have been informed, and SANParks will assist the family with transport to Limpopo as well as accommodation and repatriation costs.

 

Aucamp, the Board and Management of SANParks has extended their deepest condolences to the affected family and friends.

 

The matter has now been referred to the Police, who will conduct further investigations.

 

He says out of respect for the family and to allow investigations to proceed unhindered, no further comment will be provided at this stage.

Liesl Smit
Liesl Smit
Liesl is the Smile 90.4FM News Manager. She has been at Smile since 2016, with nearly 20 years experience in the radio industry, including reading news, field reporting and producing. In 2008 she won the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Award, Western Cape region. liesl@smile904.fm

Latest articles

Kirstenbosch Garden “decay” claims rejected by SANBI

 The South African National Biodiversity Institute has rejected claims by well-known naturalist James Deacon that Kirstenbosch Garden is going through a phase of "decay...

City tariffs: Cleaning costs may move back into rates, fixed charges to revert to water connection size

 The City of Cape Town is opening a supplementary round of public participation on amendments to the 2026/27 Budget, necessitated by a Western Cape...

International outrage grows over detention of Gaza flotilla activists

 World leaders have condemned Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir after he posted a video in which detained pro-Palestinian activists, from the Global Sumud...
error: Content is protected !!