15.4 C
Cape Town
Friday, May 22, 2026

More details on elderly man’s death after police van crash on Prince George Drive

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

 

The identity of the man who died following a collision involving a police vehicle has been revealed as 78-year-old Lionel Wyngaard. This is as the Western Cape Department of Health and Wellness has provided its account of the events leading up to his death. 

 

Steenberg police confirmed that a culpable homicide case had been opened after the incident, which occurred on Prince George Drive on Monday at about 12:00.  

 

“The circumstances surrounding the incident are under investigation and no arrests have been made,” said Western Cape SAPS spokesperson, Sergeant Wesley Twigg.  

 

 

In a statement, the Health and Wellness extended its sincere condolences to Wyngaard’s family.  

 

The department’s statement on the matter comes amid reports that the victim had waited nearly 10 hours for further medical assistance. The Cape Argus spoke to Wyngaard’s family, who said they had been waiting for “a medical transfer to have a CT scan performed”. 

 

The department said Wyngaard was brought to Retreat Community Health Centre at approximately 13:10 after the incident on Monday. 

 

Spokesperson Shimoney Regter advised that he was “promptly triaged and assessed”, while “ongoing clinical care, including monitoring and treatment, was provided while arrangements were made for his transfer to a higher level of care”. 

 

“A transfer was requested from Emergency Medical Services (EMS). While awaiting transport, Mr Wyngaard remained under continuous clinical observation and received appropriate care in line with his presenting condition,” said Regter. 

 

She said he was later transferred to Groote Schuur Hospital, where he died in the early hours of 19 May 2026. The department noted that it is looking into the matter.  

 

“Given the circumstances surrounding the incident and the nature of his injuries, the case has been referred for a medico-legal post-mortem examination, which forms part of standard procedure in such cases, and we are looking into this.” 
Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin is an enthusiastic journalist, that has been exploring her interest in broadcast media since 2019. With a natural curiosity for the world around her, you'll always find her poking around hidden gems throughout Cape Town and surrounds.

Latest articles

Civil groups reject March and March, ahead of Bellville-Parow protest

  Several civil organisations in Cape Town have rejected the March-and-March movement ahead of a local protest calling for the removal of undocumented immigrants.   The...

UPDATE: “Compliance check” and crackdown on illegal immigrants in CPT CBD

  Several groups of workers were carried away in police vans from a construction site on Lower Long Street in Cape Town's CBD on Wednesday...

WATCH: DIRCO condemns Israel for flotilla interception

  The International Relations Department (DIRCO) has condemned the illegal seizure of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with South African nationals on board.   The flotilla of about 50 ships was carrying...
error: Content is protected !!