Pakistan Officials Work to Save People Trapped in Cable Car

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

Pakistan authorities have deployed military personnel and helicopter squads in an attempt to save the eight people stuck onboard a cable car in the country’s northern region. The gondola is dangling some 274 metres above a ravine, after two of its cables snapped early on Tuesday.

 

High winds are reportedly hampering the rescue efforts.

 

Of those stranded on the chairlift are six children. They have been stranded since 7AM while using the gondola to get to school, when the cables snapped midway through its journey.

 

 

 

RELATED: City impounding taxis ”in compliance” with SANTACO agreement

 

 

There is complete chaos on the scene

“For God’s sake help us,” a man named Gulfraz, who is stuck on the cable car, tells a local TV station by phone. He confirms that there are eight people onboard, reports CBS News.

 

A rescue mission is underway, but officials report that the chairlift is in too tricky of a position to be assisted from the ground. Military helicopters are now tasked with the rescue efforts, reports AFP.

 

The nerve-wracking situation has been further exacerbated by strong winds in the area, and the risk that the helicopter’s rotor blades could unsettle the lift.

 

The BBC says parents of the trapped children are at the scene. They cry beg the authorities to save their children. It further reports that there is complete chaos at the scene.

 

Locals have reportedly been using the chairlift for many years. In fact, cable cars are common ways for people to move between villages in the remote, mountain regions of Pakistan. The one in question is believed to be privately operated by residents.

 

 

RELATED: Fire at Russian petrol station kills at least 33 people

 

 

People gamble travelling by cable car

Pakistan’s acting prime minister, Anwaar ul Haq Kakar said on X that he has directed the relevant authorities to investigate all such privately installed cable cars.

 

 

In 2017, a cable car installed by local residents broke and fell into a ravine, hundreds of feet below. DW says the incident killed 10 people.

 

This is a developing story.

 

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...