Nothing Compares 2 U, Sinéad O’Connor RIP

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

Sinéad O’Connor, the Irish singer popularised by her Nothing Compares 2 U single, has died. She was 56.

 

Her “devastated” family shared the news. The cause of death is unknown. Irish national broadcaster, RTE shared the family’s statement:

“It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Sinéad. Her family and friends are devastated and have requested privacy at this very difficult time”.

 

Documentary about Sinead O’Connor’s rise to fame and how her iconoclasm led to her exile from pop’s mainstream // SOURCED

 

Nothing short of musical genius

O’Connor is famous for her crisp voice and pure sound, pairing well with her extraordinary songwriting abilities. She used her strong views on politics, spirituality, philosophy and history as inspiration for her musical hits.

 

Her first album, The Lion and the Cobra, received critical acclaim in 1987, but it was O’Connor’s second album, I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got that saw her skyrocket to worldwide fame.

 

Her renditions of the Prince song, Nothing Compares 2 U shot to No.1 in 1990. The music video featured O’Connor with a close shaven hairdo – facing directly into the camera – wearing a dark turtleneck. She became an icon. The video has over 400 million views on YouTube.

 

Rolling Stones magazine named her artist of the year in 1991.

 

RELATED: SA girl group Jamali reunites for 20 year celebration

 

 

Remembering Sinéad O’Connor

Irish PM, Leo Varadkar, says her music was “loved around the world and her talent was unmatched”.

 

Ireland’s President, Michael D Higgins, praised the singer’s “authenticity”.

 

“What Ireland has lost at such a relatively young age is one of our greatest and most gifted composers, songwriters and performers of recent decades, one who had a unique talent and extraordinary connection with her audience, all of whom held such love and warmth for her,” he reportedly said.

 

RELATED: Hardest Songs For Women and Men To Sing

 

 

Sinéad Beyond the Music

O’Connor was outspoken about her decades-long battle with mental illness. She revealed on social media earlier this month, that she has moved back to London after 23 years. An album was also in the works, set for release next year.

 

She also shared plans to tour Australia and New Zealand in 2024, and in Europe, the United States and other regions in 2025.

 

O’Connor converted to Islam in 2018, changing her name to Shuhada’ Sadaqat, but performed under her birth name. In her 2021 memoir, Rememberings, she opened up about her struggle with addiction. “Everyone wants a pop star, see?” she wrote. “But I am a protest singer. I just had stuff to get off my chest. I had no desire for fame.”

 

O'Connor
Sinead O’Connor has died at age 56 // ANDREW CHIN/GETTY IMAGES

 

Along with her shaved head and candid views on sex, feminism and war, she will be remembered by some for ripping up a photo of Pope John Paul II during an appearance on Saturday Night Live.

 

Sinéad
A ‘controversial’ moment that immortalised O’Connor as an outspoken ‘protest’ songstress // NBC

 

Sinéad O’Connor is survived by her three children. Her son, Shane, died by suicide last year at, 17-years-old.

 

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...