Lusikisiki massacre: one person taken in for questioning

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

 

The South African Police Service (SAPS) has confirmed that a person of interest is being questioned in connection with a mass shooting, that left 18 people dead, in Lusikisiki, Eastern Cape.

 

“After thorough questioning, detectives will determine if there are grounds to arrest, They (Minister Mchunu and the National Commisisoner, Fannie Masemola) both confirm that as investigations still unfold, police know who they are looking for and are confident that arrests are imminent,” said SAPS spokesperson Athlenda Mathe.

 

Police top brass descended on Lusikisiki today, where officials met with the bereaved families of those who were killed.

 

 

‘MAJORITY OF THE SLAIN VICTIMS WERE WOMEN’

 

Fifteen of the victims were women while two were men. The gender of the last victim who died in hospital on Sunday is yet to be confirmed.

 

It’s understood the family was preparing for a traditional ritual that was scheduled for Saturday to mark the end of mourning period for a mother and daughter who were also shot dead in August last year. The group had gathered to pack goods and presents when they met their fate in the village.

 

While speaking during a media briefing, Mchunu issued an apology to the families of the 18 victims, who were gunned down in Lusikisiki on Friday. The murders were perpetrated at two homes in the same road, in Ngobozana Village. It’s believed the victims were attending a family gathering.

 

guns bullets police shooting

 

He also mentioned the fact that the massacre occurred mere hours after police signed a cooperation agreement with the Eastern Cape Provincial Government, and the Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Municipality, to help curb crime. The motive for Friday’s mass shooting is still unclear, and arrests have yet to be made.

 

Mchunu apologized for the fact that police were not there to protect the victims in their hour of need:

 

“We are saying to the blood relatives, those left behind, we are sorry and we apologize to you. We may not have heard the voices of these people when they were crying, but now, we can hear their silence,” said Mchunu.

 

Furthermore, Mchunu confirmed that the crime scene investigation has been completed by experts, and police are busy following the leads:

 

“Scouring of the crime scene has been completed and the greater part of our focus is now on intensifying the investigation,” said Mchunu.

 

READ MORE: UPDATE: Death toll rises to 18 in Eastern Cape mass shooting

 

 

 

 

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...