14.9 C
Cape Town
Friday, May 22, 2026

Lolitha Kowa murder case moves to High Court

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

 

The murder case of seven-year-old Lolitha Kowa has been transferred to the Western Cape High Court.  

 

This follows the accused, Nokuthula Matyesini and Odwa Jack’s most recent and final appearance at the Khayelitsha Magistrates Court.  

 

They are scheduled for their first High Court appearance on 24 April 2026. 

 

National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila confirmed that the accused were also served with an “Indictment and Summary of Facts” outlining charges of kidnapping, rape, murder and defeating the administration of justice.

 

According to the State, little Lolitha left her home on 22 July 2025 to play with a friend at the home of the accused. She did not return home that day. 

 

After she was reported missing, a search ensued, and Lolitha’s body was found the following day at a dumping site.  

 

“The postmortem conducted on the body of the deceased concluded that the cause of death was due to a penetrating head injury with aspiration as a contributory cause,” the court documents read.  

 

The State said forensic evidence linked the accused to the crime, with Lolitha’s DNA found inside and outside the home of the accused. 

 

“The clothing of Accused 1 [Matyesini] was found at the scene where the deceased’s body was recovered… Accused 2 made a statement to a private person.” 

 

READ MORE:  Khayelitsha couple in court for murder of 7-year-old girl – Smile 90.4FM

 

Lolitha was laid to rest in the Eastern Cape in August last year.

Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin is an enthusiastic journalist, that has been exploring her interest in broadcast media since 2019. With a natural curiosity for the world around her, you'll always find her poking around hidden gems throughout Cape Town and surrounds.

Latest articles

UPDATE: “Compliance check” and crackdown on illegal immigrants in CPT CBD

  Several groups of workers were carried away in police vans from a construction site on Lower Long Street in Cape Town's CBD on Wednesday...

WATCH: DIRCO condemns Israel for flotilla interception

  The International Relations Department (DIRCO) has condemned the illegal seizure of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with South African nationals on board.   The flotilla of about 50 ships was carrying...

Elderly man dies after falling into sea in Mossel Bay

  A 79-year-old man has died after falling into the sea at The Point in Mossel Bay.  The National Sea Rescue Institute said its Mossel Bay team received...
error: Content is protected !!