KZN floods rage on: more than 300 people dead

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

The KwaZulu-Natal Department of Cooperative Governance has confirmed (that) 306 people have died as a result of heavy rainfall and flooding across the province. MEC Sipho Hlomuka says members of the KZN provincial executive committee will continue with visits to affected areas to lead the rollout of relief to communities in need.

The KwaZulu-Natal department of education has shut schools affected by the floods until next Tuesday. Since Sunday, the province has been battered by torrential rain and floods that left many families displaced. The department says it has decided to temporarily close schools because the deadly floods have negatively affected teaching and learning.

Municipal services like electricity, water, and refuse removal have resumed in some areas. Residents have been urged to be patient as teams in many municipalities affected by the flooding are stretched to capacity.

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...