Hundreds displaced in Nkanini, Lwandle blaze

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

 

Hundreds of Nkanini Informal Settlement residents in Lwandle, Strand, have been displaced following a destructive blaze on Tuesday morning.

 

The Gift of the Givers teams were on the scene, noting that strong winds exacerbated the spread of the fire, which they say resulted in close to 500 structures being destroyed. Fire and Rescue Services spokesperson, Jermaine Carelse, said the density of the area contributed to the spread of the fire. He noted that the blaze was extinguished at 16:45.

 

Carelse said more than 60 firefighters were on the scene, with at least ten firefighting resources. The cause of the blaze is not yet known.

 

“There were no injuries to civilians, but one adult male was treated for a seizure, and a firefighter injured their knee and was taken to the hospital for treatment,” said Carelse.

 

fire
IMAGE: Supplied

 

The City is continuing with assessments to establish the number of people affected. Meanwhile, the Gift of the Giver’s Ali Sablay said the group will be on the scene on Wednesday to provide aid to the affected families.

 

 

ALSO READ: 2 people, including 7 year old boy, killed in Eersterivier fire

 

This article has been updated with additional information.

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...