25.3 C
Cape Town
Thursday, April 3, 2025

Hawks working ‘around the clock’ to rescue CT woman kidnapped near Port St Johns

Published on

 

The Hawks are investigating a case of kidnapping after a 39 year old Cape Town woman was allegedly taken by unknown suspects near Port St Johns on Friday.

 

Alize van der Merwe was reportedly on her way to the Umngazi Resort, when she was accosted and abducted.

 

Her hired car, a Toyota Fortuner, was later found abandoned, not far from the resort.

 

Her family later apparently received calls from the alleged suspects demanding a ransom.

‘The victim has not yet been found at the moment. The Hawks are investigating a kidnapping case and the police are working around the clock to rescue the victim unharmed. The investigation is still ongoing.’

 

The Provincial Head of the Hawks, Major General Mboiki Obed Ngwenya is appealing to the public if anyone has information regarding to the matter to immediately call the police.

 

According to eblockwatch’s Andre Snyman, van der Merwe rented the white Toyota Fortuner from Hertz Vehicle Hire and departed from East Londen, travelling alone on the N2 towards Port St Johns.

 

Her last communication with her family was on Friday around 11:30 when she mentioned she was planning to stop, likely at the Shell Ultra City in Mthatha (N2).

 

At approximately 15:13, the family received a call informing them that Alize had been kidnapped.

 

No further details were provided. Snyman says tracking data indicates that the vehicle was abandoned between Dumasi and Port St John’s.

 

Snyman says they have mobilised eblockwatch members across the country to assist, particularly in the Transkei area.

 

Liesl Smit
Liesl Smit
Liesl is the Smile 90.4FM News Manager. She has been at Smile since 2016, with nearly 20 years experience in the radio industry, including reading news, field reporting and producing. In 2008 she won the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Award, Western Cape region. liesl@smile904.fm

Latest articles

National Assembly passes the 2025 budget

  The crucial fiscal framework of the 2025 Budget has officially been adopted by Parliament following a vote by Members of Parliament (MPs) today.   The framework...

Justice for Cwecwe: SAPS urges responsible reporting as Afriforum slams ‘trial by media’

  Following nation-wide protests yesterday to demand justice for the 7-year-old girl who was raped in Matatiele in October last year, the National Police Commissioner...

GNU in turmoil as DA accuses ActionSA and ANC of betrayal over budget deal

  The DA's future in the Government of National Unity now seems uncertain after ActionSA offered the ANC its support to pass the budget.   During a...