23.2 C
Cape Town
Thursday, April 3, 2025

Food safety incidents in Mfuleni spark public health concerns

Published on

 

 

With food safety in the spotlight, and an increase in cases of food-borne illnesses or suspected cases reported nationwide, Cape Town communities are now on high alert. Two related incidents recently came to light in the township of Mfuleni.

 

In the most recent incident, on Wednesday, City of Cape Town authorities inspected a premises in the area where an illegal food manufacturing shop was operating. The City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security JP Smith, says it had received a tip off on the shop.

 

City law enforcement and health officials, along with officers of the SAPS’ Crime Intelligence Unit, had discovered that sausage was being processed and packaged in unsanitary conditions. Smith says the premises was declared a crime scene in light of these conditions, as seen on images posted on his Facebook page (see below).

 

 

Smith says forensic experts are currently probing food samples from the shop. Allegations that the sausage was made with bone meal (often used to make pet food) is under investigation.

 

“Environmental Health Practitioners took meat samples from the premises for chemical analysis to test the levels and type of additives in the sausage. A fine was issued in terms of health legislation, and the case will be prepared for court in terms of the Criminal Procedure Act,” said Patricia Van der Ross, Mayoral Committee Member for Community Services and Health.

 

Smith further noted that the “the owner and four employees reportedly in the country without proper documentation”.

 

According to City Law Enforcement spokesperson, Wayne Dyason, says several people have been arrested.

 

“Six persons were arrested by Law Enforcement in terms of the Immigration Act, and the Food Act.”

 

Meanwhile, another food safety issue emerged in Mfuleni last week, when over 20 children from Mzamomtsha Primary School in Driftsands, were reportedly hospitalised with stomach cramps. It is alleged that the children consumed snacks bought from a local vendor, although this has not been confirmed.

 

While all students have since been discharged, the Western Cape Education Department (WCED) spokesperson, Bronagh Hammond, has confirmed that health inspectors are investigating the incident.

 

“Health inspectors have visited these school communities to take samples of the snacks the children allegedly consumed on the day. We await the outcome of this investigation.”

 

She further says schools in the province must comply with strict health, food and safety laws, regarding the sale and distribution of products on school premises. She noted that incidents there have been cases of food poisoning in the province, but these are isolated incidents.

 

“Western Cape Government Health and Wellness Department has confirmed that there have been a few cases of food poisoning reported in recent months, involving various age groups, but their health surveillance network shows no significant, confirmed trend linked to specific locations or vendors.”

 

Hammond says the public must remain vigilant about food safety and hygiene in the coming summer months. She also urged the public to refrain from spreading unverified information.

 

“The WCED has received similar reports involving cases alleging that learners fall ill after allegedly eating chips bought from outside vendors. In many cases, these reports have been false and have been initiated through rumours on social media platforms… We also request that the public do not spread rumours that have not been confirmed and verified. It causes unnecessary stress and anxiety, particularly at a time of year when many of our learners are involved in exams that complete their academic year.”

 

ALSO READ: City health officials investigate mouldy pie sales in Kensington

 

*This article has been updated to reflect response from City Law Enforcement spokesperson, Wayne Dyason.

Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin is an enthusiastic journalist, that has been exploring her interest in broadcast media since 2019. With a natural curiosity for the world around her, you'll always find her poking around hidden gems throughout Cape Town and surrounds.

Latest articles

Presidency concerned over 30% US tariff; Afriforum blames ANC

    President Cyril Ramaphosa has expressed concern over what the new tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump will mean for South Africa. The country...

Two Oceans Marathon: races & road closures

    Two Oceans Marathon week is officially underway, ahead of the 54th annual events at the weekend. Thousands of athletes and spectators have descended on...

3 killed, 7 injured: Gang violence escalates in Overcome Heights

    Cape Town police have increased their presence in Overcome Heights following deadly shooting incidents last week.   In the most recent incident reported on Saturday, two...