City health officials investigate mouldy pie sales in Kensington

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

An investigation is currently underway following a complaint from a resident in Kensington who bought pies from a local shop that contained mould. According to Ward Councillor Cheslyn Steenberg, the resident heated the pie and fed it to her grandson, who has since fallen ill.

 

Steenberg says he informed City Health officials about the incident and was accompanied by officials to the shop last week Thursday.

 

Upon inspecting the products, both the councillor and health officials found that all of the same branded pies were full of mould whilst in cold storage.

 

“The pies were removed from the shop was found to be unedible due to mold observed on the pies.”

 

City Health officials have since removed the pies and have disposed of all the moulded goods. It is understood that the pies were purchased from a supplier in Cape Town. Further inspections are underway to check for compliance.

 

Steenberg has urged the public to be mindful of the labeling and ensure that the foodstuffs are stored correctly before purchasing the items.

 

It must be noted that mould grows on temperature-sensitive foodstuffs, which may have experienced temperature abuse during storage and transportation.

 

“[The mould] may have occurred further up the food chain before ending up at the consumer that may have resulted in the growth on these pies.”

 

Residents are reminded that any foodstuff may be purchased but when food is visually spoiled (mould growth) or smells off, they should refrain from eating it and inform the relevant authorities.

 

READ MORE: It’s Official: Cape Town is the BEST City in the WORLD for Food

Danielle Mentoor
Danielle Mentoor
Danielle is Smile FM's PM drive news reader. She has been in the radio industry since 2020 and started her career at a community radio station. When she's not keeping you up to date with the latest news, she's exploring the outdoors.

Latest articles

Hawks arrest third suspect in Gugulethu attempted CIT robbery

 The Hawks have confirmed the arrest of a third suspect in connection with an attempted cash-in-transit robbery in Gugulethu two months ago. A 45-year-old man...

City to oppose appeal over Woodstock, Salt River land evictions

 The City of Cape Town says it intends to oppose the leave to appeal application lodged by activist organisation Ndifuna Ukwazi against last month’s...

SAPS seeks more victims of serial Muizenberg rapist and robber

 The South African Police Service (SAPS) in the Western Cape are searching for more individuals who may have fallen victim to an operation in...