16.2 C
Cape Town
Friday, May 22, 2026

Diplomatic missions in touch with South Africans stranded in Middle East

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

South Africa’s Head of Public Diplomacy, Clayson Monyela, says the government is in contact with South Africans stranded in the Middle East amid escalating tensions and widespread airspace closures.

 

It has been a fast-moving situation, following the announcement that the US and Israel launched strikes on Iran. 

 

In a social media update, Monyela said it is currently impossible to move in or out of several countries as flights remain suspended.

 

He confirmed diplomatic missions are communicating with citizens, including those in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, through multiple platforms and that evacuation plans are in place.

 

The government says various intervention options are now being explored as the situation continues to unfold.

 

 

Cape Town Tourism had earlier issued a travel advisory warning passengers of confirmed global flight disruptions affecting routes to and from South Africa.

 

 

It comes amid Iranian retaliatory strikes that have been reported in Dubai, Doha, Bahrain and Kuwait, all locations hosting US military bases or allied governments.

 

Dubai’s Airport was struck, resulting in four staff sustaining injuries and receiving prompt medical attention.

 

The iconic Burj al Arab luxury hotel in Dubai was also on fire on Saturday night after it was struck by debris from an intercepted drone. No injuries were reported.

 

 

Iranian State Media earlier confirmed that Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, was killed in his office during US-Israeli air strikes on Saturday morning.

 

 

In a statement on Truth Social, US President Donald Trump described Khamenei as “one of the most evil people in history” and urged Iranians to “take back their country”.

 

 

 

40 senior Iranian officials were also reportedly killed in the strikes, including the head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. Iran has since vowed what it calls a “devastating” retaliation against US and Israeli targets.

 

Iran’s Red Crescent says more than 200 people have been killed across the country, including dozens reportedly killed when a girls’ school was hit during the attacks.

 

In a statement issued on Saturday evening, President Cyril Ramaphosa called for urgent dialogue, warning that the situation threatens global peace and security.

 

Ramaphosa condemned violations of international law, stressing that a self-defence attack cannot be based on anticipation or assumption.

 

The President says lasting peace cannot be achieved through military confrontation, calling instead for intensified diplomacy, mediation, and meaningful negotiations to de-escalate the crisis.

Liesl Smit
Liesl Smit
Liesl is the Smile 90.4FM News Manager. She has been at Smile since 2016, with nearly 20 years experience in the radio industry, including reading news, field reporting and producing. In 2008 she won the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Award, Western Cape region. liesl@smile904.fm

Latest articles

Kirstenbosch Garden “decay” claims rejected by SANBI

 The South African National Biodiversity Institute has rejected claims by well-known naturalist James Deacon that Kirstenbosch Garden is going through a phase of "decay...

City tariffs: Cleaning costs may move back into rates, fixed charges to revert to water connection size

 The City of Cape Town is opening a supplementary round of public participation on amendments to the 2026/27 Budget, necessitated by a Western Cape...

International outrage grows over detention of Gaza flotilla activists

 World leaders have condemned Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir after he posted a video in which detained pro-Palestinian activists, from the Global Sumud...
error: Content is protected !!