City calls for no bail for alleged cable thieves

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

The City of Cape Town’s Law Enforcement officers are continuing to clamp down on cable thieves, after reportedly arresting five suspects in just two days.

 

According to Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security, JP Smith, officers responded to a tip-off about two males digging up underground cables in Walmer Road, Parkwood, on Wednesday. While responding to the tip-off, officers caught the perpetrators red-handed.

 

Meanwhile, on Thursday morning, a CCTV operator spotted three males digging up cables on Strandfontein Road in Lotus River.

 

According to Smith, the suspects were also caught in the act by responding officers, who also confiscated shovels, scissors, hammers and other tools used during the incidents.

 

city cable thieves

 

“These attacks on our infrastructure coincided with the very disturbing news that three suspects arrested for similar offences last week have not been prosecuted,” said Smith

 

It was reportedly revealed that the suspects were released from custody as the matter was not enrolled at the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court.

 

The Safety and Security Investigations Unit (SSIU) has reportedly appealed to the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) to review the docket to ensure the suspects are held accountable.

 

Smith has called on both the South African Police Service (SAPS) and the NPA to oppose bail for the suspects arrested in the new cases.

 

“Our City is facing an onslaught of cable theft, and those accused of infrastructure-related crimes should not be allowed back into our communities while awaiting trial.”

 

The recent arrests come amid a spate of complaints from residents in Ottery, Parkwood and Lotus River who have raised concerns about the impact on electricity infrastructure, including streetlights.

 

“A message must be sent to the syndicates behind this constant theft that, if caught, you will stay behind bars.” said Smith

 

READ MORE: Attempted cable theft leaves Hanover Park residents in the dark

Danielle Mentoor
Danielle Mentoor
Danielle is Smile FM's PM drive news reader. She has been in the radio industry since 2020 and started her career at a community radio station. When she's not keeping you up to date with the latest news, she's exploring the outdoors.

Latest articles

Hawks arrest third suspect in Gugulethu attempted CIT robbery

 The Hawks have confirmed the arrest of a third suspect in connection with an attempted cash-in-transit robbery in Gugulethu two months ago. A 45-year-old man...

City to oppose appeal over Woodstock, Salt River land evictions

 The City of Cape Town says it intends to oppose the leave to appeal application lodged by activist organisation Ndifuna Ukwazi against last month’s...

SAPS seeks more victims of serial Muizenberg rapist and robber

 The South African Police Service (SAPS) in the Western Cape are searching for more individuals who may have fallen victim to an operation in...