Children ‘under 12’ killed in Pakistan bomb attack

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

At least 54 people have been killed in a massive suicide bombing targeting an election rally in northwestern Pakistan. Funerals have already been held in the country, with government officials vowing to hunt down those responsible.

 

People reportedly screamed for help as rescuers arrived on the scene on Sunday, said rally organiser Imran Mahir.

 

“A person standing next to me died. Another was injured,” Mahir told the BBC. “It was a big sound. I initially thought there was a problem with the generator or the sound system. My ears have been ringing and hurting. My head is still hurting,” he recalls.

 

Police reportedly told the media that 12 of those who died were under the age of 12.

 

attack
The blast happened in the northwestern region, near the border with Afghanistan // SKY NEWS / SOURCED

 

 

RELATED: Greta Thunberg fined over climate protest

Nearly 200 people killed in explosion

The victims were attending a rally organised by the Jamiat Ulema Islam party, headed by hard-line cleric and political party leader, Maulana Fazlur Rehman. The JUI-F is part of the Pakistan Democratic Alliance political coalition.

 

Nearly 200 people – including children – were injured when the suicide bombing went off.

 

attack
Some of the wounded were taken in critical condition to the main hospital in Khar, Pakistan // Rescue 1122 Head Quarters/AP

 

Rehman is known to be a long supporter of Afghanistan’s Taliban government. He has escaped at least two known bomb attacks in 2011 and 2014.

 

Rehman expressed his “deep sorrow and regret” following the attack, in a statement. “Peace be upon JUI workers,” the statement reads, according to CNN. “The federal and provincial government should provide the best treatment to the injured.”

 

While Rehman was not injured in the attack, given he did not attend the rally, one of the JUI-F’s party members, Maulana Ziaullah, dead in the attack.

 

 

RELATED: Singapore executes woman first time in 20 years

 

Political attacks are ‘rare’ in Pakistan

Critically injured attendees were airlifted to a hospital in Peshawar.

 

There have been no immediate claims of responsibility.

 

Authorities said in a statement, that the suicide bomber set off his explosive vest near the stage were several party leaders were gathered.

 

The statement also said that initial investigation suspect the ISIL (ISIS) group behind the attack. But investigators are still working on the case.

 

Pakistan has reportedly witnesses a resurgence of attack by Islamist militants since last year, when a peace deal between the Pakistan Taliban and the government broke down.

 

A mosque bombing in January killed over 100 people in Peshawar city. In February, more than 100 people were killed in a mosque bombing inside a high-security compound. Many media outlets note that attacks on political parties are, however, rare.

 

The attack on Sunday comes as parties in Pakistan prepare for a general election in October or November.

 

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...