20.6 C
Cape Town
Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Another woman lost to violence in Bonteheuwel

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

A 25-year-old suspect has been arrested following a fatal stabbing in Loganberry Street, Bonteheuwel.

 

A 58-year-old, Louis Van Sensie, was stabbed while attempting to intervene in an altercation yesterday. The South African Police Services (SAPS) spokesperson FC Van Wyk says she was declared dead on arrival at hospital.

 

“According to reports, the suspect came to the deceased house looking for a friend. The deceased husband informed the suspect, that he’s friend is asleep and that he is not going to wake him. The suspect got angry and he attacked the husband with a knife. The deceased husband then also took a knife and retaliated. The deceased then tried to stop the fight, she was then also stabbed by the suspect in her shoulder. Both the suspect and deceased were taken to hospital, where the woman was declared deceased on arrival.”

 

Van Wyk confirmed that the suspect remains under police watch guard while receiving treatment for injuries sustained.

 

Meanwhile Bonteheuwel Ward councillor Angus McKenzie says the community is in deep mourning, as not even a week ago, another female was fatally stabbed in the area.

 

“It is completely unacceptable that, after losing Shireena Birch to gender based violence, our community is once again mourning the loss of another woman, under such brutal and senseless circumstances. This cannot become normal. It cannot be accepted.”

 

Also read: Update: Man in custody following Bonteheuwel women’s murder

 

McKenzie urged SAPS to fast track its investigations to ensure that justice is served.

 

“I condemn this act in the strongest possible terms. I sincerely hope that the South African Police Service and the justice system share the deep frustration and anger felt by our communities, and that they will act decisively to ensure justice is served and that those who commit these heinous crimes against women are held fully accountable.”

 

Loushe Jordaan-Gilbert
Loushe Jordaan-Gilbert
Loushé Jordaan Gilbert has been telling community stories since 2014. She began her career as a community journalist, dedicated to amplifying local voices and shedding light on the everyday realities communities face.

Latest articles

Fast-Tracked Repairs Bring Paarl Hospital Closer to Full Reopening

  Paarl Hospital is steadily returning to full operation after being severely damaged in a fire earlier this year.  The fire, which broke out in January...

WCED Assesses Damage After Severe Weather Hits Schools

 Severe weather has left a trail of disruption across the Western Cape, forcing several schools to close and damaging infrastructure in others. The Western Cape...

Deadly Week on Western Cape Roads Claims 20 Lives

  The Western Cape Department of Mobility is appealing to motorists to avoid drinking and driving as the department recorded several deaths on the province’s...
error: Content is protected !!