Alize van der Merwe: Kidnapped CT woman released

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

Alize Van der Merwe, the Cape Town woman who was abducted while on route to an Eastern Cape resort nearly a week ago, has been released by her kidnappers.

 

Hawks spokesperson Warrant Officer Ndiphiwe Mhlakuvana said Van der Merwe (39) and another kidnapped woman (34) were dropped off by a white Toyota single-cab bakkie, near Sulenkama police station, in the OR Tambo District of the Eastern Cape on Thursday.

 

He said the other victim could not be identified at the moment. She was reportedly kidnapped last Tuesday between Elliot and Barkley East.

 

Van der Merwe was kidnapped last Friday while she was travelling on the N2 from East London to the Wild Coast.

 

RELATED: Hawks working ‘around the clock’ to rescue CT woman kidnapped near Port St Johns

 

Mhlakuvana says the kidnappers caved due to the pressure exerted by the Hawks.

 

“Further reports divulged that the victims were traumatised and would be taken to the nearest hospital for medical attention. The matter is still under investigation by the Hawks.”

 

Andre Snyman, from the community anti-crime group eblockwatch says their members were closely involved with the team that helped secure Van der Merwe’s release.

 

”Through their dedication and hard work, they not only located the individual in question but also uncovered another person who had been kidnapped. Their efforts have been truly remarkable.”

 

Snyman writes on Facebook that eblockwatch served as a hub for the community, which has provided invaluable information, making this success possible.

 

A special shout-out to Serentinel and Fidelity Security for backing eblockwatch and providing essential support throughout this operation. There have also been many other multitask collaborations whose contributions were invaluable, even if I am not sure of all their names at this time.

A huge thank you to everyone who contributed to this collective effort. This has been an outstanding example of collaboration, and through it, we’ve uncovered critical criminal activity operating on the roads and highways of the Eastern Cape. Now, we have the opportunity to tackle these threats head-on.

Moving forward, we will continue discussions with all role players to consolidate our efforts and ensure that if anything happens in that area, we can respond swiftly and effectively.

 

We will build on the incredible network we’ve formed since last week, Saturday.
Congratulations to everyone involved! Well done!

 

Van der Merwe’s release comes a few days after the kidnappers made a ransom demand.

 

The Hawks’ investigation into the kidnappings will continue.

Liesl Smit
Liesl Smit
Liesl is the Smile 90.4FM News Manager. She has been at Smile since 2016, with nearly 20 years experience in the radio industry, including reading news, field reporting and producing. In 2008 she won the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Award, Western Cape region. liesl@smile904.fm

Latest articles

Former Knysna councillor, local taxi boss shot dead a day after former Mayor’s killing

 The Knysna Municipality has confirmed that one of the men killed in a shooting in Bongani on Thursday night, 20 August, was a former...

LOOK: TIK manufacturing lab uncovered in Limpopo, five foreign nationals arrested

 The Hawks have struck a blow to the drug trade after uncovering a massive crystal methamphetamine (TIK) manufacturing facility in Limpopo. Officers, acting on intelligence,...

“You cannot rely on a dead man Mr Adams” – Fadiel Adams criticised for invoking late General Andre Lincoln during Madlanga testimony

 Suspended Member of Parliament Fadiel Adams is back in the hot seat at the Madlanga Commission on Thursday, where his testimony is under intense...