SANParks and the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment say it has learned with shock that the bodies of two tourists were discovered in the Pafuri section (Nxanatseni North Region) of the Kruger National Park.
A search operation was launched on Thursday evening, 21 May, after camp staff noticed the tourists had not returned to camp.
As the search continued, SANParks says other tourists made the “gruesome discovery of two bodies near a river area” on Friday.
Rangers were alerted, and it was also established that the vehicle the tourists had been travelling in was missing from the scene. The nationality of the tourists is not known.
Minister Willie Aucamp says it is the first time in the history of the Kruger National Park that an incident of this nature has been reported.
The next of kin of the deceased have been informed, and SANParks will assist the family with transport to Limpopo as well as accommodation and repatriation costs.
Aucamp, the Board and Management of SANParks has extended their deepest condolences to the affected family and friends.
The matter has now been referred to the Police, who will conduct further investigations.
He says out of respect for the family and to allow investigations to proceed unhindered, no further comment will be provided at this stage.


