Outrage as Trump demolishes part of the White House

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

“It’s not his house. It’s your house. And he’s destroying it.”

 

With those words, former First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton cut to the heart of the national outrage over US President Donald J. Trump’s decision to demolish the East Wing of the White House, a move that has stunned preservationists, lawmakers, and ordinary citizens.

 

The East Wing, long home to the offices of First Ladies and the White House social staff, was torn down this week to make way for a sprawling new $300 million Trump-branded ballroom.

 

 

The demolition began on Monday, notably, the first workday after roughly seven million Americans participated in the No Kings protests, a mass demonstration against what critics describe as the president’s increasingly authoritarian tendencies.

 

“The People’s House” in Ruins

 

According to Luke Broadwater of The New York Times, the demolition is expected to be completed by the weekend, but new photos show the job is all but done.

 

 

A senior administration official also confirmed there are no approved plans or permits for the rebuild, no visible weatherproofing despite the onset of winter, and no sign that historic paintings, furniture, or artefacts were preserved before bulldozers moved in.

 

“There is only the destruction of the People’s House,” Clinton said in a follow-up post on social media.

 

The White House has maintained that the ballroom will “modernise and expand” the historic complex, describing the project as a privately funded improvement to accommodate “state events of a new era.”

 

However, earlier statements by Trump himself,  in which he claimed the East Wing “would not be touched”, appear to have been abandoned.

A “Perfect Symbol” of Overreach

 

Reaction was swift and fierce. Jack Schlossberg, grandson of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, lamented on social media: “Where she planted flowers, he poured concrete.”

 

An editorial in The Guardian described the demolition as “the perfect symbol of Trump’s presidency – grandiose, divisive, and irreversible.”

 

Defiance from the Administration

 

At a briefing earlier this week, White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt defended the move, insisting the demolition was “consistent with past presidential expansions” and did not require congressional approval.

 

She said the president had “every right to improve the working and ceremonial functions of the White House.”

 

 

According to reports from Reuters and AP, the project is funded by private donors, including executives from major tech firms, and aims to construct a 90,000-square-foot ballroom that would effectively double the footprint of the original East Wing.

 

Mounting Legal and Public Pressure

 

Preservation groups and several members of Congress have called for an investigation into how the demolition proceeded without federal oversight from the National Capital Planning Commission (NCPC), which typically reviews such changes.

 

 

 

Latest articles

Pressure on the Springboks as Rugby’s Greatest Rivalry moves to Cape Town

 Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus says his team has been in difficult positions before and knows exactly what is required to keep the Rugby Championship...

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...