Kodwa resigns as sports minister following corruption charges

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture, Zizi Kodwa has resigned from his position as both the minister and Member of Cabinet with immediate effect. This comes as he challenges the charges against him, which he strongly denies.

 

Kodwa, along with his co-accused Mr Jehan Mackay, appeared in the Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday on corruption charges. This after he allegedly received R1.6 million in bribes.

 

According to the Hawks, Kodwa was arrested following the Zondo Commission’s recommendations on state capture. The charges against the now-former minister, form part of investigations into contracts worth more than R460 million that were awarded to EOH Holdings by the City of Johannesburg in 2016. The company was reportedly hired to upgrade and maintain the metro’s software systems.

 

The Commission found “questionable transactions” between Kodwa and Mackay, who is a former EOH director. During the court appearance, 54-year-old Kodwa said he is aware of the nature and gravity of the charges and intends to plead not guilty.

 

During proceedings, the pair proved not to be considered as flight risks and was released on R30,000 bail with conditions. These conditions require them to attend all court appearances, and hand over their personal passports to the investigating officer (IO). If movement is warranted outside the country, the IO should be informed.

 

The case has been postponed to 23 July 2024.

 

 

During his resignation, Kodwa expresses his sincere appreciation to President Cyril Ramaphosa and the governing party for the opportunity to serve the nation.

 

He also expressed thanks to all the staff at the Ministry and Department of Sport, Arts and Culture for the opportunity to serve with them, and the stakeholders with whom he has worked as Minister.

Danielle Mentoor
Danielle Mentoor
Danielle is Smile FM's PM drive news reader. She has been in the radio industry since 2020 and started her career at a community radio station. When she's not keeping you up to date with the latest news, she's exploring the outdoors.

Latest articles

Hawks arrest third suspect in Gugulethu attempted CIT robbery

 The Hawks have confirmed the arrest of a third suspect in connection with an attempted cash-in-transit robbery in Gugulethu two months ago. A 45-year-old man...

City to oppose appeal over Woodstock, Salt River land evictions

 The City of Cape Town says it intends to oppose the leave to appeal application lodged by activist organisation Ndifuna Ukwazi against last month’s...

SAPS seeks more victims of serial Muizenberg rapist and robber

 The South African Police Service (SAPS) in the Western Cape are searching for more individuals who may have fallen victim to an operation in...