Gauteng cops pounce on kidnapping syndicate

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

The police’s National Anti-Kidnapping task team has arrested nine people for allegedly running a kidnapping syndicate, after they targeted a Portuguese businessman in Gauteng.

 

The businessman, who was kidnapped outside his business premises in Bramley on Monday evening, has been rescued and reunited with his family.

 

The 53-year-old man was found safe and unharmed at a house in Kempton Park on Tuesday afternoon.

 

The Anti-Kidnapping Task Team pounced on the address where the businessman had been kept in Kempton Park and arrested four men and a woman.

 

At another identified address in Hillbrow, two women and a man were also arrested.

 

A 41-year-old police officer was also among those arrested. He was arrested at his place of work.

 

The police say the syndicate is alleged to be involved in at least five kidnapping cases where Portuguese businessmen were targeted.

 

They would demand ransom payments from the victims’ families.

 

No ransom payment was made at the time when police rescued the victim.

 

The National Commissioner of the SAPS, General Fannie Masemola says while the organisation is disappointed by the arrest of one of its own, it is pleasing to note that the organisation is ridding itself of corrupt elements.

 

“No member of the SAPS is above the law, irrespective of their rank. Police officers who are found on the wrong side of the law are dealt with accordingly. We will continue to root out rogue police officers from within our ranks”, said Masemola.

 

The task team has from April to date arrested 70 suspects in Gauteng alone for being linked to Kidnapping cases where ransom demands were being made.

 

RELATED: Kidnapped Welgemoed woman freed

Liesl Smit
Liesl Smit
Liesl is the Smile 90.4FM News Manager. She has been at Smile since 2016, with nearly 20 years experience in the radio industry, including reading news, field reporting and producing. In 2008 she won the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Award, Western Cape region. liesl@smile904.fm

Latest articles

Former Knysna councillor, local taxi boss shot dead a day after former Mayor’s killing

 The Knysna Municipality has confirmed that one of the men killed in a shooting in Bongani on Thursday night, 20 August, was a former...

LOOK: TIK manufacturing lab uncovered in Limpopo, five foreign nationals arrested

 The Hawks have struck a blow to the drug trade after uncovering a massive crystal methamphetamine (TIK) manufacturing facility in Limpopo. Officers, acting on intelligence,...

“You cannot rely on a dead man Mr Adams” – Fadiel Adams criticised for invoking late General Andre Lincoln during Madlanga testimony

 Suspended Member of Parliament Fadiel Adams is back in the hot seat at the Madlanga Commission on Thursday, where his testimony is under intense...