LEAP officer killed in Nyanga

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

The City of Cape Town and Western Cape Government has condemned the murder of a Law Enforcement Advancement Plan (LEAP) officer, this past Friday evening in Nyanga.

 

33-year-old Zanikhaya Kwinana, who was on duty at the time of the incident, was attached to the Gugulethu unit.

 

Kwinana was traveling with colleagues inside their official vehicle near NY108 when they came under heavy gunshot fire.

 

When his colleagues realised he had been hit, they sped off to Heideveld Day Hospital, but Kwinana was declared deceased on arrival – he had sustained gunshot wounds to the head.

 

The City has arranged counselling for the other officers who were in the vehicle, as well as the rest of our LEAP deployment in Gugulethu where Kwinana was based.

 

The SAPS are investigating, and the City’s MMC for Safety and Security JP Smith says they will provide support and assistance where needed.

 

This callous attack must be condemned in the strongest terms, and we will not rest until those responsible are caught and brought to justice.

 

The MEC of Police Oversight and Community Safety, Reagen Allen says there were a number of bullet holes noticeable on the vehicle they were travelling in, which suggests that there was clear intent to target the officers.

 

Initial indications are as many as 13 bullets hit the vehicle.

 

There is currently no indication that the murder was linked to the ongoing taxi strike, but Allen has called for a speedy investigation.

 

Should this incident be directly linked to the minibus taxi strike, I urge the leadership to strongly condemn this incident and assist us in bringing the perpetrators to book.

 

Meanwhile, has SANTACO has issued a statement saying it ”unequivocally condemns all acts of violence, public disturbance, and intimidation and as an Organisation we distance ourselves from any opportunistic criminal elements that endanger the lives of commuters and citizens of the province.”

 

Both Smith and Allen has urged anyone with information to contact the police as soon as possible so that the criminals can be arrested.

 

The City has also offered a reward of R250 000 for credible information that leads to an arrest. The City tip-off line is 0800 11 0077.

 

This is the second LEAP officer murdered in less than a week. A 40-year-old suspect was arrested on Thursday in connection with the murder of LEAP officer Toufeeq Williams.

 

The 37-year-old officer was gunned down in Beacon Valley last Sunday afternoon.

 

ALSO READ: LEAP officer murder suspect arrested

 

Liesl Smit
Liesl Smit
Liesl is the Smile 90.4FM News Manager. She has been at Smile since 2016, with nearly 20 years experience in the radio industry, including reading news, field reporting and producing. In 2008 she won the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Award, Western Cape region. liesl@smile904.fm

Latest articles

Former Knysna councillor, local taxi boss shot dead a day after former Mayor’s killing

 The Knysna Municipality has confirmed that one of the men killed in a shooting in Bongani on Thursday night, 20 August, was a former...

LOOK: TIK manufacturing lab uncovered in Limpopo, five foreign nationals arrested

 The Hawks have struck a blow to the drug trade after uncovering a massive crystal methamphetamine (TIK) manufacturing facility in Limpopo. Officers, acting on intelligence,...

“You cannot rely on a dead man Mr Adams” – Fadiel Adams criticised for invoking late General Andre Lincoln during Madlanga testimony

 Suspended Member of Parliament Fadiel Adams is back in the hot seat at the Madlanga Commission on Thursday, where his testimony is under intense...