Reward to catch killers of City official now R1 million

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

Cape Town Mayor Geordin Hill-Lewis has announced that the City’s reward has been bumped up to R1 million, from R100 000, for information leading to the successful prosecution of those responsible for the murder of a City official on site at the Delft Symphony Way housing project on 16 February 2023.

 

Wendy Kloppers was on duty when she was shot dead, in what is believed to be the latest in a series of attacks by the construction mafia.

 

Prior to the fatal shooting, the same housing project had been targeted by petrol bombing and a further shooting the previous week.

 

Hill-Lewis says a private donor approached him with the generous offer to help ramp up the reward to R1 million.

 

“We urge those with information to come forward so that we can see justice done for the family. We also continue to call on the South African Police Service to do whatever it takes to hunt down and find the perpetrators responsible for this violence. We have a clear message for the public, the Delft community, and the future beneficiaries of this housing project: help us find these thugs, and help us protect this housing project so that it is not derailed.”

The motive for the shooting is unclear, but Hill-Lewis says it’s part of a trend of violence directed at the housing project. The investigation is in the hands of the SAPS, but the City’s SSIU is assisting.

 

The Symphony Way housing project is a R500 million project for 3 300 beneficiaries, some of the most vulnerable in the metro including from Blikkiesdorp.

 

Anonymous tip-offs welcomed 
Call: 0800 1100 77

• All information is welcomed, but a reward can only be paid if the City’s policing resources achieve an operational result that directly relates to information received, like (an) arrest/s, confiscation of contraband or illegal firearms, recovery of stolen goods, rescue of a kidnapped victim, etc.

• Tips received by the dedicated tip-off line are relayed to the relevant City agency. Once they have made an arrest/confiscation, etc. they will submit the application for consideration by the Rewards for Information Committee. We do have to caution the public that it could take several weeks or months after the arrest or confiscation is made for the reward to be paid out, once all relevant administrative processes have been completed.

• The system is NOT open to people under the age of 18.

Liesl Smit
Liesl Smit
Liesl is the Smile 90.4FM News Manager. She has been at Smile since 2016, with nearly 20 years experience in the radio industry, including reading news, field reporting and producing. In 2008 she won the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Award, Western Cape region. liesl@smile904.fm

Latest articles

Former Knysna councillor, local taxi boss shot dead a day after former Mayor’s killing

 The Knysna Municipality has confirmed that one of the men killed in a shooting in Bongani on Thursday night, 20 August, was a former...

LOOK: TIK manufacturing lab uncovered in Limpopo, five foreign nationals arrested

 The Hawks have struck a blow to the drug trade after uncovering a massive crystal methamphetamine (TIK) manufacturing facility in Limpopo. Officers, acting on intelligence,...

“You cannot rely on a dead man Mr Adams” – Fadiel Adams criticised for invoking late General Andre Lincoln during Madlanga testimony

 Suspended Member of Parliament Fadiel Adams is back in the hot seat at the Madlanga Commission on Thursday, where his testimony is under intense...