19.9 C
Cape Town
Thursday, April 3, 2025

3GAR’s McLaren crash: DA demands accountability

Published on

 

The Democratic Alliance has expressed concern that there appears to be little progress in the case of the Nigerian rapper 3GAR, who crashed his R3 million McLaren on High Level Road in Sea Point over four weeks ago.

 

WATCH: Nigerian Rapper Crashes His McLaren in Sea Point

 

DA MP Nicholas Gotsell expressed these concerns in a recent Facebook post.

 

He says despite the high-profile nature of the crash, which went viral at the time, there have been no arrests, as apparently no charges have been laid, and the only courtroom 3GAR has appeared in is in his ”followers’ comment section.”

 

“Instead of facing consequences, the individual in question has been busy posting social media videos supposedly from a wheelchair, running giveaways for his fans, having pillow fights on a bed and spent a Sunday afternoon on a rooftop in Cape Town’s CBD.”

 

Gotsell says this is inexcusable, as the Nigerian rapper’s crash posed a real danger to the public.

 

He says the residents of the Atlantic Seaboard are living under the “scourge of modified exhausts and speedsters’ joyrides.”

 

According to Gotesell, security footage released in the days following the crash shows 3GAR driving at reckless and excessive speeds, which finally resulted in him losing control on High Level Road and crashing into a wall.

 

3GAR has meanwhile responded to followers online questioning his actions, saying he was swerving for a homeless person and that the released footage was ‘edited’.

 

 

Gotsell says he will write to the Provincial Police Commissioner requesting that he urgently advise when the investigation into this matter will be finalised.

 

“It’s time this case stopped trending online and started progressing through the courts.”

 

Cape Town police have confirmed that the investigation is ongoing and that the case docket is on the Public Prosecutor’s desk for a decision.

 

Meanwhile, there are conflicting reports as to whether 3GAR was subjected to a toxicology test at the time of the accident.

 

Former Sea Point Councillor Jaques Weber says while there were allegations of alcohol use, no blood was drawn on the scene, allegedly because the suspect was receiving medical treatment, which takes precedence if there’s risk to life.

 

Weber says even if the rapper is eventually arrested and found guilty of reckless and negligent driving, he is likely to walk away with a slap on the wrist.

 

Liesl Smit
Liesl Smit
Liesl is the Smile 90.4FM News Manager. She has been at Smile since 2016, with nearly 20 years experience in the radio industry, including reading news, field reporting and producing. In 2008 she won the Vodacom Journalist of the Year Award, Western Cape region. liesl@smile904.fm

Latest articles

National Assembly passes the 2025 budget

  The crucial fiscal framework of the 2025 Budget has officially been adopted by Parliament following a vote by Members of Parliament (MPs) today.   The framework...

Justice for Cwecwe: SAPS urges responsible reporting as Afriforum slams ‘trial by media’

  Following nation-wide protests yesterday to demand justice for the 7-year-old girl who was raped in Matatiele in October last year, the National Police Commissioner...

GNU in turmoil as DA accuses ActionSA and ANC of betrayal over budget deal

  The DA's future in the Government of National Unity now seems uncertain after ActionSA offered the ANC its support to pass the budget.   During a...