Woman and child killed in crash involving Health Minister’s state vehicle

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

Investigations are underway following a fatal accident in which the official state vehicle of Minister of Health, Dr Aaron Motsoaledi, was involved. The South African Police Service (SAPS) confirmed that the accident occurred on the N1 near Bela-Bela, Limpopo, on Saturday.

 

According to the police, preliminary investigation suggests that a woman was attempting to cross the road with her two children, one of whom was strapped to her back. The trio was reportedly attempting to cross the road to attend to an earlier incident involving the woman’s husband.

 

The husband was allegedly struck by a vehicle driven by an off-duty police officer and died at the scene.

 

Investigations further alleged that while crossing the road, the woman and her children were involved in a collision with the Minister’s official vehicle. The state vehicle was at the time driven by a member of the Protection Security Services(PSS).

 

Police confirmed that the mother and baby succumbed to their injuries.

 

“In line with standard protocol, the Minister’s close protector and the driver immediately stopped at the scene together with the Minister and remained there until police and emergency medical services arrived,” said SAPS Brigadier Athlenda Mathe

 

Mathe added that statements were subsequently obtained from those present at the scene.

 

Two separate cases of culpable homicide are under investigation, and the circumstances surrounding both accidents form part of ongoing police investigations. The Police watchdog, IPID, has taken over the investigation, as both drivers are SAPS members.

 

“The SAPS extends its deepest condolences to the bereaved family during this difficult time.”

 

READ MORE: Update six weather-related deaths confirmed in the Western Cape

 

Danielle Mentoor
Danielle Mentoor
Danielle is Smile FM's PM drive news reader. She has been in the radio industry since 2020 and started her career at a community radio station. When she's not keeping you up to date with the latest news, she's exploring the outdoors.

Latest articles

Hawks arrest third suspect in Gugulethu attempted CIT robbery

 The Hawks have confirmed the arrest of a third suspect in connection with an attempted cash-in-transit robbery in Gugulethu two months ago. A 45-year-old man...

City to oppose appeal over Woodstock, Salt River land evictions

 The City of Cape Town says it intends to oppose the leave to appeal application lodged by activist organisation Ndifuna Ukwazi against last month’s...

SAPS seeks more victims of serial Muizenberg rapist and robber

 The South African Police Service (SAPS) in the Western Cape are searching for more individuals who may have fallen victim to an operation in...