Ukraine stands its ground as attacks intensify

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

Credit: Finbarr O’Reilly for The New York Times

 

Ukraine says it is strengthening its forces in the east. This is due to constant attacks in the region by Russian troops and the mercenary group, Wagner.

 

LISTEN: 2022 News In Review – The war in Ukraine

 

On Monday, Kyiv said it sent reinforcements to a small town near Bakhmut where the scene intensified. In a statement it said the ‘enemy again made a desperate attempt’ to storm the area and ‘threw the most professional units of the Wagnerites into battle’.

 

In another report, Ukraine said Moscow carried out 7 missile strikes, over 70 attacks and more than 30 airstrike in the past day.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, during his nightly video remarks, said that Bakhmut and Soledar were holding on, despite constant attacks from Russia, and the widespread destruction from it.

 

‘Everything is completely destroyed’…

The Wagner group has been working to capture Bakhmut and Soledar for months – at the cost of many lives on both sides. Founder Yevgeny Prigozhin says their motive for this is the network of mines in the area. He explained that it could hold a big group of people. Additionally, it has space to allow tanks and infantry vehicles to move about at depths of 80 to 100 metres. “Everything is completely destroyed,” Zelenskyy said.

 

 

However, a US official has reportedly said that Prigozhin is after the salt and gypsum from the mines.

 

Attacks Leave Civilians Dead

In the northern region of Kharkiv. A Russian missile strike on a village left two women dead and four people wounded. A 10-year-old girl was of the deceased. Video footage from the Ukrainian presidential office showed badly injured people lying on the ground. Rescue workers were also seen digging through the rubble and a large crater.

 

Russia did not offer an immediate comment on the alleged strike.

 

 

President Zelenskyy also denounced, what he called, Russia’s failure to observe a ceasefire declared for the Russian Orthodox Christmas on Friday and Saturday. Orthodox Christmas Day fell on Saturday, the 7th of January. “Russians were shelling Kherson immediately after Christmas,” he said. Kherson is a Ukrainian city to the south, which was abandoned by Russian forces in November.

 

 

Ukraine did not agree to this ceasefire. Adding that it was an excuse for Russia to reinforce their troops. And both sides accused the other of continuing hostilities over the holidays.

 

WATCH: Ship heading to Ukraine to pick-up grain

 

On Sunday (8th January) Russian missiles allegedly struck Kramatorsk – killing at least 600 Ukrainian soldiers. But Ukraine denied any causalities in the attack.

 

 

Russia’s invasion of Ukraine is soon coming to its one-year mark. And Russia’s military is under pressure to deliver some good news from the battlefield. Some are even seeking an escalation in the war effort. This comes after Russia lost of its captured territory and reportedly sustained a high number of deaths and injuries.

 

zahraa@smile904.fm

SOURCES – AL JAZEERA NEWS AGENCY, DW

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...