23.2 C
Cape Town
Thursday, April 3, 2025

Uber & Bolt: “Driver safety is our top priority”

Published on

 

 

E-hailing companies have expressed their support for driver safety, as some drivers set out to down tools on Tuesday. Drivers across the Western Cape plan to “stay away” from operating to shed more light on a list of grievances they have – with the principle concern being their safety in and around Cape Town.

 

READ MORE: E-hailing drivers plan stay-away amid spate in violence

 

E-hailing company, Bolt, has expressly supported the driver’s protest, noting that it condemns any violence and intimidation towards drivers. East and Southern Africa Manager, Takura Malaba, says the crimes against drivers are of national concern and that Bolt will continue working with police to ensure drivers’ safety.

 

“As always, we are compassionate towards drivers’ safety concerns and the safety of drivers is of paramount importance to us.”

 

The company further highlighted its in-app safety features, and insurance options for drivers to utilise.

 

At the same time, Uber says it’s looking to update the in-app screening of riders, especially for people requesting cash rides, so as to make it more rigorous. The company says its “piloting the verification of identification documents of new cash riders”.

 

Safety is not the only grievance

 

One of the other concerns that the Western Cape E-Hailing Association (which acts as representative for drivers in the province) had was the “unilateral” and “unfair” deactivation of driver accounts, which is similar to that of dismissal, the association says.

 

“App companies continue to have the upper hand in exploiting drivers through their unfair competing methods and exploitative business models.”

 

Uber, however says the deactivation of driver accounts are in compliance with “Community Guidelines”, in which fraudulent and discriminatory behaviour, as well as theft and sexual assault lead to the “immediate loss of access to the app”.

 

“We have a comprehensive approach that includes frequent roundtables with drivers who opt-in to the meetings where we discuss specific topics and get feedback for current and future features with drivers.”

Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin is an enthusiastic journalist, that has been exploring her interest in broadcast media since 2019. With a natural curiosity for the world around her, you'll always find her poking around hidden gems throughout Cape Town and surrounds.

Latest articles

Presidency concerned over 30% US tariff; Afriforum blames ANC

    President Cyril Ramaphosa has expressed concern over what the new tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump will mean for South Africa. The country...

Two Oceans Marathon: races & road closures

    Two Oceans Marathon week is officially underway, ahead of the 54th annual events at the weekend. Thousands of athletes and spectators have descended on...

3 killed, 7 injured: Gang violence escalates in Overcome Heights

    Cape Town police have increased their presence in Overcome Heights following deadly shooting incidents last week.   In the most recent incident reported on Saturday, two...