18.8 C
Cape Town
Saturday, April 5, 2025

Thousands of Cape Town protestors join #JusticeForCwecwe march

Published on

 

 

Thousands of peaceful protestors took to the streets of the Cape Town CBD today to take a stand against the alleged rape of seven-year-old Cwecwe.

 

The little girl was reportedly raped at her school in October last year. All clad in black, the demonstrators marched to the offices of the Western Cape Education Department to call for a stricter vetting process when teachers and other education staff are appointed. This comes as the principal of Bergview College in Matatiele is one of the three suspects reportedly identified by police.

 

 

Sunday school teacher Andiswa Fatyela joined the Cape Town march, as a mother of two young daughters. The Nyanga resident’s youngest daughter is seven-years-old, and she says this could have been her daughter. Her 18-year-old daughter was also one of the protestors.

 

“When I look at them, I know that tomorrow they might not be safe at church. When you take your child to school, you expect your child to be safe at school, but now, children are not even safe at school,” said Fatyela.

 

University student Tayla Cox also shared her sentiments.

 

“We live in such a beautiful country with beautiful people, but we are in a crisis. This is a gender-based violence crisis, and it is so much bigger — the fact that girls cannot go to school, they cannot go to the post office, they’re not even safe in their own homes anymore,” Cox expressed.

 

Western Cape Education MEC David Maynier accepted the memorandum of demands that was presented by the protestors.

 

justice for cwecwe protest
Image by Lizell Persens

 

“We are deeply disturbed by the incident that has been reported from the Eastern Cape. I accepted a memorandum on Tuesday afternoon and will refer it to the relevant national departments for action. We are aware that the Eastern Cape Department of Education, as well as SAPS, are investigating the incident.”

 

He shared his message for the Eastern Cape Department of Education.

 

“We urge them to ensure that the perpetrator is found and faces the full might of the law. Our children must be able to learn in a safe environment when at school. While this incident has occurred in another province, I urge anyone who becomes aware of an incident of abuse or assault in a Western Cape school to report this immediately to SAPS and to our Safe Schools hotline on 0800 45 46 47 toll free for assistance,” said Maynier.

 

READ MORE: Deadly Voëlklip cliff claims life of 41-year-old woman

 

 

 

 

 

Lizell Persens
Lizell Persens
Lizell is a Cape Town-based news anchor, reporter and transcriptionist. She has been a journalist for the past 10 years, and started her career as a TV producer. The avid reader enjoys writing poems, fast cars, music, travelling, and exploring new food.

Latest articles

Metrorail avails special train service for Two Oceans Marathon

    In an effort to support the thousands of Two Oceans Marathon runners, and to alleviate Cape Town's high traffic volumes — PRASA and Metrorail...

No foreign DNA or witnesses in alleged rape of seven-year-old girl

    Police Minister Senzo Mchunu revealed that while DNA testing was conducted on a seven-year-old rape victim last year, no foreign DNA was found at...

The DA’s future in the GNU still hangs in the balance

    The Democratic Alliance says its high-level GNU discussions remain ongoing following this today's legal action.   The party headed to the Western Cape High Court earlier...