21.6 C
Cape Town
Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Seven arrested in major Western Cape abalone smuggling bust

Published on

 

 

George police have brought down a multi-million Rand abalone poaching syndicate with the arrest of seven suspects on Monday.

 

The suspects, aged between 45 and 65, allegedly operated an illegal fish processing establishment. The group (including previously arrested Jianxian Wu) are said to have primarily operated in the Western Cape and Gauteng provinces – where they transported, illegally stored, and exported abalone.

 

According to the Hawks spokesperson, Zinzi Hani, said that the operation spanned the Western Cape, and led to to the arrest of suspects in the Cape Peninsula, Overberg, and Hassequa areas. Hani says it comprised teams from the Hawks, supported by the Public Order Police and Anti-Gang Unit in the Overberg District, to execute the warrants of arrest.

 

“These arrests mark a significant victory in our ongoing battle against organised crime,” said Hani.

 

“The suspects face serious charges, including the illegal transportation, storage, and exportation of abalone.”

 

In addition to these charges, the suspects will be prosecuted under the Prevention of Organised Crime Act for money laundering and managing a criminal enterprise through racketeering activities.

 

The operation also targeted an another suspect, Jianxian Wu, who was traced and arrested in the North West last month. Wu made his first court appearance on 21 May. He will join his co-accused in the George Magistrates Court on Tuesday, 11 June. Wu is scheduled for his bail hearing.

 

Hani says the investigation began in 2016 and resulted in the seizure of 25.3 tonnes of abalone, valued at over R37 million. She says nine suspects, overall, have been arrested in the matter.

 

“As a result of this investigation a total of 12 cases were registered with a combined total of 77 charges.”

 

Earlier this year, Western Cape police made a similar multi-million Rand abalone bust.

Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin Maledo
Caitlin is an enthusiastic journalist, that has been exploring her interest in broadcast media since 2019. With a natural curiosity for the world around her, you'll always find her poking around hidden gems throughout Cape Town and surrounds.

Latest articles

Two charged for allegedly beating “street” children in Oudtshoorn

   Kindly note that the video embedded below, sourced from Facebook, contains profanities and depicts scenes of alleged assault. Viewer discretion is advised.   A 75-year-old man...

Anti-crime group slams plan to deploy army to Cape Flats

  The Cape Crime Crisis Coalition (C4) have voiced its opposition to plans to deploy the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) to fight gang...

Atlantis man arrested for hacking mother-in-law to death

  A 35-year-old man is facing a murder charge for the death of his 67-year-old mother-in-law in Atlantis, following a brutal attack allegedly carried out...
error: Content is protected !!