SA government slams Trump’s ‘misinformed’ refugee status for white afrikaners

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

 

Government has affirmed that US President Donald Trump’s decision to grant a group of white South Africans refugee status in the United States of America is misinformed and unfounded.

 

Minister in the Presidency, Khumbudzo Ntshavheni relayed government’s position while briefing the media on the outcomes of the Cabinet meeting held yesterday. She used the opportunity to reiterate government’s stance, after 49 white south africans boarded a plane to the US on Sunday, in search of so-called greener pastures.

 

READ MORE: Engaging SA diplomatic services will mean revoking refugee status, DIRCO warns

 

The afrikaners claim they have been persecuted in their home country — another claim government sought to defend and debunk.

 

“The decision by the United States to confer refugee status to a group of afrikaner south africans is misinformed, as they do not fit the definition of refugees as cited in the 1951 refugee convention and its 1967 protocol,” said Ntshavheni.

 

‘ALLEGATIONS OF DISCRIMINATION ARE UNFOUNDED’

 

“Cabinet further reiterated that allegations of discrimination are unfounded and do not meet the threshold of persecution required under both the domestic and international refugee law. Moreover, the South African Police Services statistics on farm-related crimes do not support allegations on violent crime or genocide targeted at farmers generally or any racial grouping. Cabinet refuses the narrative by the government of the United States of America and remains open to constructive engagement,” Ntshaveni added.

 

READ MORE: Orania is more inclusive than Khayelitsha and Soweto, says CapeXit ahead of EFF march

 

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...