Repatriation of fallen SANDF soldiers in DRC delayed

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

 

The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) confirmed that the repatriation of 14 soldiers who died, in the Democratic Republic of Congo has been delayed. The bodies of the fallen soldiers and those who had been injured were expected to arrive in Pretoria on Wednesday.

 

While the SANDF has not yet explained what the exact reason for said delay is, the return of the remains appears to be hindered by access difficulties in Goma, which is controlled by the M23.

 

The 14 SANDF soldiers died while fighting rebels in the DRC last month.

 

“All administrative processes were completed and handed over to the United Nations. The United Nations planned movement for the repatriation of the deceased out of the combat zone has been delayed,” said the SANDF’s Simphiwe Dlamini.

 

READ MORE: COSATU pleased by increase in the National Minimum Wage

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...