Renewed calls for the safety of those visiting coastal areas

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

 

Marine rescue authorities have reiterated calls for bathers to be extra cautious when visiting pools and beaches.

 

At least 9 people have drowned on Cape beaches over the last month.

 

In the latest incident, a 16-year-old boy lost his life on Saturday. This after he was swimming in the Muizenberg area.

 

The NSRI’s Craig Lambinon says the safety of those visiting swimming areas is top priority:

 

“NSRI, lifeguards, police, municipal beach authorities and the emergency services are appealing to coastal bathers around the entire coastline to only swim where and when lifeguards are on duty. Swim in-between the safer demarcated swimming zones lifeguards post, using their red and yellow flags,” says Lambinon.

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...