President Cyril Ramaphosa backs Western Cape anti-crime pact

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

 

The three spheres of government have officially signed a Cooperation Agreement to pool their resources and hereby collectively fight crime in the Western Cape. The signing ceremony, on Friday, 30 August, was held at Erica Park Sports Ground, Belhar in Cape Town.

 

 

The anti-crime pact will see the South African Police Service (SAPS) join ties with the Western Cape Government and the City of Cape Town.

 

 

 

Many have called the historic turn of events surprising because the SAPS and CoCT law enforcement agencies have, for many years, been at loggerheads. The two entities have finally chosen to put their differences aside, as crime levels continue to rise in the metro and wider province. The move follows the formation of the Government of National Unity (GNU). The agreement will take immediate effect and will remain in place for the duration of the 7th administration. While delivering his keynote address, President Cyril Ramaphosa said the government is heeding the call by residents for an urgent intervention to address crime.

 

 

“We are taking decisive action to combat crime here in Cape Town, which has become the capital city of criminality, gang violence, murder, and other related criminal activities including drug peddling and abuse,” said ramaphosa

 

 

He said people have had enough.

 

 

 

“Our people have had enough of criminals terrorizing our communities and making them live in fear. Today, by signing this Cooperation Agreement, we are saying enough is enough,” said ramaphosa

 

 

Police Minister Senzo Mchunu explained why the project is being launched in this particular province.

 

 

“The City, alone, contributes close to 80% of crimes in the whole of the Western Cape. This morning, we released crime statistics for the last quarter of the previous financial year and the first quarter of the current financial year. The Western Cape recorded the highest increase in murder cases,” said Mchunu.

 

 

[READ MORE]Mchunu: Crime is generally on the increase

 

 

Meanwhile, Western Cape Premier Alan Winde reflected on why the day’s event was fitting.

 

ramaphosa winde

 

“It is a significant day today because it is exactly 5 years ago that Jessie Hess was murdered as a result of Gender-Based Violence and Femicide and we must not let her, along with so many others, in our region and in our country die in vain,” added Winde.

 

 

The pilot project will eventually be rolled out to other provinces.

 

 

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...