In an effort to accommodate the pockets of all commuters, the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa is now offering discounted train tickets during off-peak hours.
The #TravelOffPeak campaign starts Monday 13 November, and will run across all of PRASA’s operational routes nationwide. The discounts are applicable between 09h30 and 14h30, as well as weekends and public holidays. PRASA’s Andiswa Makanda explains:
“This initiative is the organization’s commitment to encourage the public to use Metrorail services not only during peak hours but also during off-peak periods. This is a significant step towards enhancing the commuter experience and saving commuters money by paying lower fares. By choosing to travel during off-peak, commuters will not only enjoy a quieter, and relaxed journey but contribute to a more evenly distributed and efficient use of our transportation infrastructure.”
Fares are discounted as follows:
- Pensioners: 50% discount during off-peak.
- General public/commuters: 40% discount during off-peak.
- Scholars in uniform: 50% anytime of the day.
- Bulk purchase: 10% discount on bulk buying.
- Events or promotions (e.g., schools or groups): 50% discount for groups travelling together.
PRASA says it’s vital that these tickets are not to be used during peak hours, except for scholars in school uniforms, whose tickets remain valid for the entire day.