Police slam reports that AKA murder weapon found

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

 

Police in KwaZulu-Natal denied claims that the firearm used to kill Kiernan ‘AKA’ Forbes and Tebello ‘Tibz’ Motsoane was recovered.

 

The pair was gunned down outside a popular restaurant on Florida road in Durban in February. Their murders were captured on security camera, and shook the country.

 

Three months later, the police are still trying to find leads.

 

RELATED STORY: Reading crisis: ‘No national plan to catch up learning losses’

 

IOL reported that a source close to the investigation revealed that a 9mm pistol was recovered in Umlazi, Durban. The source also revealed that the gun was positively linked to the shooting following ballistic tests. Other unconfirmed reports say the gun was for hire.

 

Police have now said the reports are false.

 

 

Police respond to media allegations

Eyewitness News also reported that the firearm was found at the weekend, and believed to the one used to kill AKA and Tibz.

 

In the wake of the news, the police downplayed the media reports. When media houses contacted the KZN police for comment, their spokesperson, Colonel Robert Netshiunda said the police would not comment on the alleged weapon.

 

“We stand by our statement, which appealed to [the] media to afford our investigators time to work without undue pressure,” said Netshiunda. “We are not giving any blow-by-blow update[s] on the matter, and we clearly requested for space to work,” the South African reported him saying.

 

Progress in the investigation saw four men arrested two months ago. They were allegedly in connection with the murder. But were later released.

 

RELATED STORY: Do the children of South Africa have a future?

 

Unethical reporting

Following the reports of the alledged weapon, police have now criticised media houses for their ‘unethical reporting’. They say it could hinder their investigations reports Cape Town etc:

‘Some media houses, who clearly seem hell-bent to botch any police endeavours to find the killers and bring justice to the families of the victims, started the day on Tuesday morning with unsubstantiated rumours and malicious allegations about the recovery of the so-called murder weapon

 

The police also said that the “insensitive, unethical and inconsiderate reporting” from media houses has the “potential” to arm persons of interest with “ammunition” to complicate investigations into the matter.

 

Rudolph Nkateko Baloyi, AKA’s lawyer, says they are aware of the media reports about the firearm. He told News 24 that he as no comment “at this point“.

 

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...