Phala Phala: President Ramaphosa’s decision ‘cannot be rushed or taken in haste’

Published on


Add Smile FM on Google

President Cyril Ramaphosa’s spokesperson Vincent Magwenya says amid mounting pressure on him to step down, following the damning Phala Phala report, the President will not be rushed into taking a decision.

 

Magwenya addressed the media on Thursday evening.

 

“Due to heightened expectations, The president appreciates the urgency of the issue. The president also appreciates the enormity of the issue and what it means for the country and the stability of the country.

 

“He is still processing the report and engaging a number of role-players of the governing party and the alliance. He is engaging a broad range of stakeholders,” Magwenya said.

 

Magwenya said the country was in an unprecedented and extraordinary moment as a constitutional democracy as a result of the report.

 

“Whatever decision the president makes, that decision needs to be in the best interests of the country. It cannot be rushed or taken in haste,” he said.

 

Magwenya apologised for the impression created that Ramaphosa would be addressing the nation on Thursday.

 

The panel found that Ramaphosa may have violated the Constitution and anti-corruption laws in his Phala Phala dealings.

 

Ramaphosa is under immense pressure following the release of the report by the independent panel, which made damning findings against him in relation to the theft of $580 000 (R10 million) from his game farm, Phala Phala, in Limpopo.

 

The independent panel was led by former chief justice Sandile Ngcobo, and was appointed by Speaker Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula.

 

Ramaphosa failed to convince the panel that he had acted in accordance with the law and the Constitution after the burglary and theft, and could face an impeachment investigation by lawmakers.

 

RELATED:

 

The four charges include three instances in which Ramaphosa violated the Constitution for continuing to be engaged in paid work outside his duties as a member of the Cabinet and for acting inconsistently with his office by asking his head of security, Major-General Wally Rhoode, to investigate the matter.

 

MPs are expected to vote on Tuesday on whether or not to adopt the report.

 

Source: News24

Latest articles

Specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment handed over

 The Western Cape Government has handed over specialised hazardous materials (Hazmat) equipment to the Cape Winelands District Municipality. This is as part of its...

Team on board S.A. Agulhas II arrive safely at Marion Island

   The team on board S.A. Agulhas II have arrived safely at Marion Island. The M83 team arrived earlier this month. They are ready to...

Major review finds vaping leads to poorer respiratory health among children

 A major review by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has found consistent evidence linking vaping among children and young people to...